Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern

Andy Clarke said:
hehehe :)
I think your back is saying: hehehe =( Ralph

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/woodlawn%20junction%20%2031%20aug%2009/Rocks%20Pic%201.jpg)

That’s sum ugly lookin’ rock! :wink: -Brian

Brian Donovan said:

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/woodlawn%20junction%20%2031%20aug%2009/Rocks%20Pic%201.jpg)

That’s sum ugly lookin’ rock! :wink: -Brian

Yeah, well dey is from da midwest. Not much decent comes out of the ground in them parts, but they make do :smiley: Glaciers were our friends !

Brian. They look ugly now, because they are in their “caged” state… Once they are ““Un-caged””, they are sparkle and dazzle and be totally eyecatching…

Jon, Actually, those rocks were imported… :slight_smile:

We have lived here for 4 years, and in that 4 years, with all the digging that I have done, I have not found a single rock… I’ve found 4 types of clay, but no rocks…

Ya know that old picture of Deep Cut I keep posting? Next to the tree, the pile of rocks is about half of what came out of the cut. I can hardly put a shovel in the ground and not come up with something softball size or bigger.

Now I know your secret to quick progress on retaining walls. You don’t need to excavate rocks :smiley:

Actually, the secret to the retaining walls is, having the room to use the bucket to dig out where the footings go… :slight_smile: I think that’s even quicker than using a backhoe… The bucket takes out 5 ft at a clip… :slight_smile: (But don’t tell anyone)… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:
Brian. They look ugly now, because they are in their "caged" state.... Once they are ""Un-caged"", they are sparkle and dazzle and be totally eyecatching....

We have lived here for 4 years, and in that 4 years, with all the digging that I have done, I have not found a single rock… I’ve found 4 types of clay, but no rocks…

I cant dig more then a few inches without hitting a boulder.

Around here we grow rocks. I found a pile of previously harvested rocks around a couple of tree stumps out back…:wink: Half filled my trailer with’em…

Andy Clarke said:
Brian. They look ugly now, because they are in their "caged" state.... Once they are ""Un-caged"", they are sparkle and dazzle and be totally eyecatching....

I guess I’m just “lucky”. I have clay…and rocks.
Ralph

Congrats, Ralph, you are awarded the ““Rusty Shovel”” :slight_smile:

I have an abandoned quarry that I visit fairly frequently that provides rocks with a neat red streaking. Really cool.

Ken Brunt said:
Around here we grow rocks. I found a pile of previously harvested rocks around a couple of tree stumps out back..........;) Half filled my trailer with'em..........
You have limestone?
David Russell said:
Ken Brunt said:
Around here we grow rocks. I found a pile of previously harvested rocks around a couple of tree stumps out back..........;) Half filled my trailer with'em..........
You have limestone?
Lots of limestone around. The panhandle of wesvirginny is all limestone. I had an old gf who grew up there. She never had a cavity! Most of Federal buildings in DC are built from WV limestone. Also, bluestone is a type of limestone.

-Brian

David Russell said:

Ken Brunt said:
Around here we grow rocks. I found a pile of previously harvested rocks around a couple of tree stumps out back…:wink: Half filled my trailer with’em…

You have limestone?

Could be…not sure what type of rock it is. It’s an orange color.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/expansion/hesperus033a.jpg)

All the rocks in this picture are native grown in the cornfield behind the house. There are piles of them scattered along the back property and in the woods.

The rocks I have for the dry stack walls for Hilltop are from Georgia… I have 3 skids of ““Bluestone”” rock on order, coming from PA… I think that Black rock I got is from PA also…

Andy Clarke said:
The rocks I have for the dry stack walls for Hilltop are from Georgia... I have 3 skids of ""Bluestone"" rock on order, coming from PA.. I think that Black rock I got is from PA also....
I have some red rocks I had gotten years ago from up in the Valley Forge/ Norristown area when I was working up that way. There's a huge quarry up there but all of mine came from construction sites. I'd haul them back to the office in my company car then load them into my pick up. I still have a pile of them out back. Some of them have rust steaks through them from the iron in the rock.

And that answers another question I had…Where did the Bluestone in Bluestone Southern come from…:wink:

Ken, in actually… Bluestone Southern came from the design I wanted, that was to be diamond shaped… In my world, Diamonds had been called many names, such as a rock… One such term I heard used for a Diamond, was ““A stone””… Hence, the “stone” part of Bluestone…

My favorite color is Blue, so naturally, it was named ““Bluestone””… Bluestone by itself, didn’t quite seem right… Part of My N-Scale modeling was modeling different Southern Pacific locomotives… (comes from serving 6 years @ military bases in Texas, and 5 years in Calif). The lettering style I wanted on my locomotives were of Southern Pacific heritage, so My railroad became the Bluestone Southern…

The sides of the engines will have Bluestone Southern on them, and the nose will have the letters BS on them…

When the trains are running good, they are called ““Bluestone Southern””, and when they are running bad, well, it’s all _ _… :slight_smile:

The nose art can make either statement… :slight_smile:

The engines are to be painted like the ““Rock”” blue & white engines, except, my blue will be a deeper, darker blue, kinda like CSX Blue or the old dark Conrail blue, or a mixture thereof…

Well, it’s Saturday morning, of a 3 day weekend, and of course, it’s been raining all morning, so that puts a damper on working outside on the railroad…

Well, This morning, the Woodlawn area was still a bit too muddy to work in, so we worked on the dry creek to the south of Hadley Forest…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/Hadley%20Forest%2010-06-09/Hadley%20Forest%20Creek%20-%20Sparta%20Cut%20-%20Pic%203.jpg)

An overview shot from the west, looking east… The trees in the forground are Hadley Forest, and in the background is Sparta Cut…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Outside%20Layout%20Pictures/Hadley%20Forest%2010-06-09/Hadley%20Forest%20Creek%20Pic%202.jpg)

This is the wall area, behind (south) of Hadley Forest… On the left side is Hadley Forest, then a dry creek and a wlkway and a wall, to sit and rest on… Did get to working on the Black rocks in Woodlawn later this afternoon and evening, but was too dark to get an good pictures in that area… All in all, a good work day…

Looking great Andy almost time to see a few trains in the pics