Large Scale Central

Big Country Toys Cattle

After seeing some posts on this site as well as another about Big Country Toys 1:20 scale figures, I decided to try out some of their cattle. I’ve long been looking for appropriately sized Hereford cows. Schleich are nice, but their cattle always seemed a little on the big side for my 1:22.5 scale layout.

The cows arrived today and I think they look great. I ordered one bull, two cows, and two calves. The only thing I’ll likely do to them is an overspray of dull cote to tone down the minor plastic shine.

Here they are next to an Accucraft C-16:

To me the scale looks perfect and I think they will work nicely on my mostly 1:22.5 scale layout in Colorado.

I’m looking forward to the summer when I can get out to the layout in Colorado and replace the old pair of Preiser bulls with the new cattle for the scene below:

Link to large version of above photo

Noticed today that my local Hobby Lobby caries Big County Toys figures. They didn’t have any of the cattle I got, but they had a few of the cowboy figures and the windmill.

Great find Matt! I checked out their website - very nice stuff. I’ll check out the local Hobby Lobby. Thanks for the suggestion. I model in 1:20.3, so these figures will be a good fit.

Where did you find the sheep in the stock pen photo?

PS - nice model of the Gomez Store

Thanks Jerry.

The sheep were purchased at a train show around 7 years ago. I think Just Plain Folk was selling them. Best G scale sheep I’ve ever seen. I purchased 15 sheep I think.

The Gomez store started as an Upland Trains structure.

Link to Gomez Store image closeup

Just an addition to this post, sorry for intruding, but Bully makes a nice bunch of domestic and other animals in the large scale size… H&R trains I think still sells them in our area, not sure about any where else? Maybe Ebay? Elaine
P.S. Big Country used to be at a local Big Lots store, but not consistently… Ertl is a good source too, but again, not sure where you can find them?

Matt Doti said:

Thanks Jerry.

The sheep were purchased at a train show around 7 years ago. I think Just Plain Folk was selling them. Best G scale sheep I’ve ever seen. I purchased 15 sheep I think.

The Gomez store started as an Upland Trains structure.

Link to Gomez Store image closeup

Thanks for the feedback on sheep.

What type of material are the structures from Upland Trains - urethane, plastic, wood? $30.00 for a kit sounds like a reasonable price.

Elaine Haggenbottom said:

Just an addition to this post, sorry for intruding, but Bully makes a nice bunch of domestic and other animals in the large scale size… H&R trains I think still sells them in our area, not sure about any where else? Maybe Ebay? Elaine
P.S. Big Country used to be at a local Big Lots store, but not consistently… Ertl is a good source too, but again, not sure where you can find them?

Elaine - you are not intruding… Thanks for the feedback. I’m not familiar with Bully and will check them out. Big Country Toys can be purchased on their website and Amazon.com.

Jerry Sahnd said:

What type of material are the structures from Upland Trains - urethane, plastic, wood? $30.00 for a kit sounds like a reasonable price.

The website mentions heavy polyurethane. When I was kitbashing it it seemed like a super thick resin.

And Elaine you’re not intruding at all. The more information the better.

I’ve heard of Bully before, although I have never seen any of their figures in person. Found this website called Bullyland. I think that is the same company.

Bullyland Website