Large Scale Central

Bent

At Long Sault this weekend, I discovered a well-used rail bender by Istra Metalcraft of Naples, Fla. Obviously not as sophisticated as the leading brand, but it will do for my needs, and the price ($25) was right :smiley:

Mostly I use sectional track quite happily, but there are couple of places where my plans could use curves that aren’t in the catalogues.

Onward, ever onward!

I’m sure it will work better than my knee!

I see references to this bender almost 10 years back. Can you post a picture or at least give us details, like single or dual rail, etc?

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

I see references to this bender almost 10 years back. Can you post a picture or at least give us details, like single or dual rail, etc?

Greg

Single rail. I hope it will be sufficient for my modest plans.

Chris it takes a bit more fiddling to get the rails parallel with a single bender. But I am sure, with a little patience, you can do it.

That looks a lot like the Aristo single rail bender I have which I bought over 10 years ago.

Dan Pierce said:

That looks a lot like the Aristo single rail bender I have which I bought over 10 years ago.

That’s what I was thinking. Perhaps Istra put his sticker on a used unit at some point. Happens.

Istra Metalcrafts, Inc. was/is a company owned by an old sailing friend, Walt Swartz. He sailed down the Mississippi to adventures in Florida and he then got heavily involved in live steam. We met up years later at Diamondhead and in Naples, Florida.

Its been years since I heard from him.

I have one of those older single rail railbenders, Still works.

Ric, to clarify, I was suggesting that your friend put his sticker on a used unit, and sold it as used. Glad to see that it was new product. Thanks for demystifying.

It is identical to the Aristo bender. I have one too and just used it a few weeks ago. It is a pain because it doesn’t have any fixed adjustments so you need to fiddle around to get two parallel bends, but it can be done. When bending long rails (5 ft pieces) I use it screwed onto an upright post or wall at about the 6 foot level. This is because when bending long pieces horizontally the rail tends to sag.

Walt, ended up getting a contract to build them for AC and letting them sell them under their name. He had a large metal fabrication shop and built them as just a hobby business to pay for his live steam habit. You could also get rollers for other than 332 rail, but I don’t think he sold that version through AC.

He also had a line of live steam raised modular tracks. His major business was injection die manufacturing, if I remember right. Last I heard some back trouble had him pretty laid up and that was right around 2003.

No clue if he is still kickin.

Maybe this message will cause a contact to shake his cage.

Sorry, duplicate post.

Have you been drinking Ric?

Yep, pretty regularly. Most often, just rum for medicinal purposes. Keeps the scurvy away. Haven’t had it, yet. :wink: