Large Scale Central

Bending track the wrong way

I am building a coal tipple. It has a long trestle ramp to the top for the ore cars. How does one “bend” the rail when it gets to the top of the tipple?
Would I just put the track joiners at the top where the ramp ends?

John I’ll try to get pics at ECLSTS this year of the model that has been posted before. I’ll ask questions if possible. Will that help?

David,
Any tips are appreciated. If they have one there, check how they traversed from ramp to level track.
I’m thinking a joint at the top of the ramp, with a little tweak-age.
I don’t have it finished yet, so I’m just musing here.

John I wounder if doing to the track like you would dry wall would work. Make a number of small cuts on the underside of the track and bend it there? that way you would have your bend with out a gap at the top.

Just a thought.

Geoff George said:
John I wounder if doing to the track like you would dry wall would work. Make a number of small cuts on the underside of the track and bend it there? that way you would have your bend with out a gap at the top.

Just a thought.

I agree, I think this would prevent any kinks.

You mean that expensive double track bender won’t handle this task? :stuck_out_tongue:

“vertical curves”

I know I couldn’t bend it over my knee like I did with the rest of my track! I think those small cuts on the underside of the track will work fine. Just make sure you have matching cuts on both tracks and keep the bends the same.

That’s Dean Sleepers model you’re thinking of. He’s over on lsol and I can ask him.

-Brian

Dean said -
Brian, all I did was to get it into a position between two metal posts but you could use trees or some other device with a spacing about 12 to 18 inches apart that are firm and then apply pressure slowly till you reach the desired curve. If you go to far you can always bend it back slowly. Also, keep in mind you have to keep moving up and down the track to get a nice even curve.

-Brian

Steve Featherkile said:
You mean that expensive double track bender won't handle this task? :P
Nope. :) But it does fetch my cool drinks for me. :)

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try. I won’t be a drastic bend, cause the ramp will be quite long.

Joe Satnik said:
"vertical curves"
I know. But for what that thing cost, it should butter your toast as it comes out of the toaster! :P

On a more serious note, are you trying to put the vertical curve at the end of track, or at the bottom of the trestle as the cars start their journey up?

The top of the ramp where the track levels back out.

That extinct train manufacturer usta make that. You can proly find it on ebay.

Our own Bruce Chandler posted an article on a roll yer own bumper here.

Steve where’s the ‘Roll your own’ ?

Steve Featherkile said:
Our own Bruce Chandler posted an article on a roll yer own bumper [url=http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=90]here.[/url]
David, click on the blue "here."

I did no rolled track just a wood bumper article

Steve must be “rollin’ his own” as well.
It’s medicinal, right, Steve? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

John Bouck said:
Steve must be "rollin' his own" as well. It's medicinal, right, Steve? :) :)
John- R u axin' for a way to keep your gons from rolling off the track, or do you specifically want the rolled track.

FYI, I don’t do that stuff… medicinal or otherwise.