Large Scale Central

Beginning again. The new Chumstick Rivern and tumwater Canyon R

I stole this idea fair and square from Richard Smith. He said that if he was to do it again, he would use 2 X 6 timbers for the frame, so that is what I have done. If you want to see details of how this goes together, see his lovely work. What I have is roughly 4 ft wide by 36 ft long. I wanted someplace where geezers like Warren, TOG and I could put our locomotives on the track without getting down on our knees, primarily because it takes two cranes to get us back up again, once we have gotten down there. The layout starts about chest high, and then the ground comes up to meet it on the other end. SWMBO wants to see trains running through the petunias, so I have to keep her happy, also.

As you can see, I also stole Richard’s idea of the warehouse that doubles as outdoor car storage.

This is a view from the another angle, where you can see how the ground rises to meet the table. There will be a turntable at this end as it is the highest off the ground, and eventually, I plan to have a roundhouse there, too.

This provides a closer look at the construction of the table. Those metal brackets really speed construction, and make it very sturdy. I only put in two 45 degree braces, and really didn’t need those. It is an optical delusion that those legs aren’t straight.

Two sections of the roof lift off to gain access inside. The warehouse has been in place through some 50 kt winds without budging, so I judge it successful.

This is a view inside the warehouse to show the construction. The roof is made of 1/4 inch construction grade plywood that I had laying around, cost was $0.00. I put 3 coats of gray primer and then sprayed on that pseudo rock finish that Rustoleum has. I think it looks pretty good. I am curious as to how long it will last, though. The cost for the whole table was essentially nil. I had most of the stuff already, left over from other projects. I had to buy the brackets, but that wasn’t too much. All in all, I am pretty pleased with how it has come out, so far. Now to get the track down. I plan to follow Richard’s lead and use the ladder system with redwood (I think he used cedar, but the cedar that I can get easily is not very good) Once I am satisfied with the track, I’ll fill in with dirt, then ballast the track. The track will go onto the ground where the yard begins. More to follow as it develops.

WooooooHoooooo…!! Another place to go play…:smiley: Looks good Steve.

Very nice! I see the table has a rim around the edge – do you have some kind of drain(s) to prevent water accumulation?

Ray Dunakin said:
Very nice! I see the table has a rim around the edge – do you have some kind of drain(s) to prevent water accumulation?

Ray, the silver cloth that you see is weed cloth. It is placed over 1/2 inch hardware cloth (wire mesh) the water flows through nicely. I will use fill dirt up to the level of the track and the surrounding 2 X 6. The below picture is from Richard Smith. My work is not anywhere so nice.

What this photo of Richard’s work shows is all of the elements that go into this particular method of building a raised layout like this. You can see the structure, Richard used 2X4’s but says that if he were to do it again, he would use 2X6’s for the added strength to support the dirt. You can also see the hardware cloth (wire mesh), the weed cloth to keep the dirt from falling through and to let the rain trickle through, and the ladders to support the track. Of note are the supports for the buildings. The foundations of the building have to be at the same level as the top of the ladder.

Now that was down right sneaky. You’ve done all that work on the project without mentioning it? Looks like it is going to work out great? When you got to the ground are you going to use the ladder/trellis method? Looks like a good project.

Mad Wolf,
Batt/RC, right?

TOG

John Bouck said:
Mad Wolf, Batt/RC, right?

TOG

Yep

Ric Golding said:
Now that was down right sneaky. You've done all that work on the project without mentioning it? Looks like it is going to work out great? When you got to the ground are you going to use the ladder/trellis method? Looks like a good project.
As it goes to ground, the ladder will continue. I haven't got that fully worked out in what passes for my mind, yet.

Oh, I get it now. Very clever! I never would have thought of that.

Hey Steve, that looks great. When can we come and play.

That yard/staging area is a good idea. I’m removing part of the existing layout this weekend and extending it in the direction of the old pole building (that is coming down). The new area is going to take up the space where the building is (was). So the layout will end up being an “L” shape lower to the ground.

I really have to get something running. I hate not having a place to run trains in my back yard.

Chuck

Looks good…I too have uuumm reflected on Richards ideas…lol