Large Scale Central

Beautiful fall morning to run trains and work on the line

Woke up to a beautiful fall morning today. Decided to rework my passenger station as its paver stone platform was heaved up in the back. I had also picked up a box of the LGB platform sections on my last trip to the shop in Indianapolis. I removed the paver stones, installed the platform and moved the USA style covered platform to another area of the line. I still want to keep a duel Austria/USA theme to the line so I can run both styles of trains. A few areas will have a USA logging theme, others like the station and cable cars are obviously Austrian looking. Todays consist is my early LGB 2095 diesel pulling 3 early LGB coaches, 2 of the 3062’s and one 3013. I used a spare set of platform sections to rework my grade crossing for the future road. Need to make up some Austrian style cross bucks from brass, my wood version fell apart on me, even with weatherproof glue. Enjoy! Mike

That 2095 is a super little loco .

It’s running on a very nice layout too .

Mike

she does run nice, deals with R1 curves with ease. Something my LGB mogul did not so it got traded back to the shop for more passenger cars and that platform. I cannot stand it when a train bogs down in the curves so much that one cannot help but notice. My only complaint is the headights are weak compared to other LGB engines. The 18vt bulb feeds plastic optic runners to the lights. It lights up the nose red enough without being any brighter. I did put alum foil behind the nose and in front of the bulb to stop most of this. Thinking about trying a LED pointed straight up into the optic runner, might stop some of the light bleed thru and make the headlights better at night. The 2 Mums I just added late this week. Lady came into my wifes work place selling them, $10 each for those huge plants! So we got 2. Who says you have to build a huge garden to have a nice railway! Cheers Mike

Which one is the locomotive?

:wink:

Seriously, that looks real nice

Last 2 pics for today, made a bit more progress after the first pics were taken. Laid a little stone that I was able to salvage from another area of our landscaping. Need about a garden cart load to finish the whole railway area still. Enjoy. Mike

[URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cadetpwr/media/DSC07421_zpscc143724.jpg.html][/URL

I’m pretty sure that I cured the light bleed with either aluminium foil wrapped around the light pipes , or Bare Metal .

Silver paint also works , but perhaps a high power LED (instead of the bulb )as well would give you an improvement .

Anyway , it’s looking good so far .

Nice one . Bucolic , even .

Mike

sw11

Mike Toney said:

Thinking about trying a LED pointed straight up into the optic runner, might stop some of the light bleed thru and make the headlights better at night.

Adding LEDs instead of the optic runners would solve the problem nicely. Straight ahead with no side leakage.

David Maynard said:

The ÖBB 2095 is an odd duck powered by diesel-hydraulic it has two B trucks and the axles are connected by side rods, That also requires counter weights. Not your “everyday” drive arrangement.

Thats why I like that engine HJ, its an odd duck. Much like me! I like the 3 LED idea to just replace the whole light pipe set up. Have to see if I can get golden white LED’s the same diameter as the light openings, or I could drill recesses into the light pipes right behind each lamp and shoot the LED’s straight ahead. Mike

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

David Maynard said:

The ÖBB 2095 is an odd duck powered by diesel-hydraulic it has two B trucks and the axles are connected by side rods, That also requires counter weights. Not your “everyday” drive arrangement.

Hans, I was kidding. I knew what one was the locomotive, but in these parts, not only do locomotives have side rods, they also have smokestacks.

That’s a right fine looking layout.

Terry

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Mike Toney said:

Thinking about trying a LED pointed straight up into the optic runner, might stop some of the light bleed thru and make the headlights better at night.

Adding LEDs instead of the optic runners would solve the problem nicely. Straight ahead with no side leaks

I would put car headlamp bulbs there to keep the driver warm .

Mike

sw0917gmt

Nice looking layout. Love how neat everything looks. Another great example showing you dont need a large layout to have fun and look great.

Thanks for sharing the pleasures of your railroad, Mike!