Large Scale Central

Battery won't fit.

A few weeks ago, I called Robbie at RLD HOBBIES, and ordered the REVO for my SD 45. I was very specific that I wanted the battery to be on board. Robbie sold me an 18.5 volt, 6000 mAh battery that I have not been able to shoehorn in, anywhere. It won’t fit in the fuel tank, I’ve even removed the smoke unit, trying to fit it in there. The battery is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit in the metal channel that forms the keel.

In Robbie’s defense, we did talk a bit about trail cars a bit, though I was very specific this was to be an on board battery. I can use the battery in another application, so that is not the issue.

The question is, is there a LiPo battery, around 18 volts, and 4,000 to 6,000 mAh, that will fit, somewhere in the SD 45?

Steve, the only battery that will fit is the CR-1715 18.5V @ 6800mah Lithium-Ion (1x10) Flat Pack. It fits nicely in the fuel tank.

I hear you Steve I had a hard time putting 14.8 in sd45 on one I cut the channel to let set down in. I finally started to use a long skinny one and it works well. My only reason to use 14.8 was that is what airwire recommend. So back to your problem I would go on line and get some battery sizes and make some wood mock-ups to try to fit in first before I spent anymore money and I am sure Rob would take it back. I do know of one person who does have a 18.5 in his dash 9 will try to find what that is, it all so has revo.

Richard

Steve Featherkile said:

The battery is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit in the metal channel that forms the keel.

Thanks, Rooster, I knew I could count on you. Hit any key to continue.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Hi Steve, let’s help you get this engine running. I have two options for you. See photo. 1. move speaker in the fuel tank and place MTO Train-11 18.5V 6 Ah battery under fans. 2. Use two 18.5V MTO-Train-13 in parallel to achieve 6 hour runtime mounted behind the cab.

I can deliver these tomorrow.

Don

Steve Featherkile said:

A few weeks ago, I called Robbie at RLD HOBBIES, and ordered the REVO for my SD 45. I was very specific that I wanted the battery to be on board. Robbie sold me an 18.5 volt, 6000 mAh battery that I have not been able to shoehorn in, anywhere. It won’t fit in the fuel tank, I’ve even removed the smoke unit, trying to fit it in there. The battery is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit in the metal channel that forms the keel.

In Robbie’s defense, we did talk a bit about trail cars a bit, though I was very specific this was to be an on board battery. I can use the battery in another application, so that is not the issue.

The question is, is there a LiPo battery, around 18 volts, and 4,000 to 6,000 mAh, that will fit, somewhere in the SD 45?

I dunno. If ya can’t trust a dealer with advise, who ya gonna call? I e-mailed Robbie a couple of months ago and asked him if he sold a battery that will fit into the tender of an LGB 2019S mogul. He replied that I’d have to install the battery in a trailing car. Couple weeks later I e-mailed a guy who belongs to the local train club and he said he’s installed batteries in the tenders of many LGB moguls in the past - that there’s a battery that will fit with no cutting/modifications needed. So I don’t know whether Robbie does installs or he has a Tech who does it but it seems like he should know that there’s a battery available that will fit an LGB steam tender without the need to wire one up in a trailing car.

Steve this one looks like it would work. http://www.batteryspace.com/custom-li-ion-18650-battery-18-5v-5-2ah-96wh-7a-rate-battery-pack-in-long-configuration.aspx

Richard

Steve Featherkile said:

The battery is about 1/8 inch too wide to fit in the metal channel that forms the keel.

So…, can it sit on the metal channel rails, maybe with a block in the channel for support or would that make it too tall??

Michael K - When you take into account that NO engine manufacturer - except Aristo Craft (gone) - ever offered a battery powered locomotive, any installation is there for a ‘hack and slash’ of the original manufacturer’s product. There are folks out there who through experience installing batteries of many natures into locomotives of many manufacturers, the advice will vary. When you compound that with the varied number of end user battery installs, the information can get a bit confusing.

Battery technology has gone the gamut from lead acid batteries back 30 years ago, through NiCAD, NiMH, Lion, and now LiPO. Each battery getting smaller for the same energy density. And who would have considered putting Battery and R/C in an On30 loco, but it is being done. Sounds to me like there was some mis-communication is all.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my halo and wings are in the wash right now…

Todd Brody said:

Steve Featherkile said:

So…, can it sit on the metal channel rails, maybe with a block in the channel for support or would that make it too tall??

I thought of that. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)I even tried it. Unfortunately, it’s about an eighth of an inch too high. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Can the channels shaved down a bit? Isn’t that what they make Dremels for? If you then reinforce the area between the remains with a block or …, wouldn’t this be strong enough?

A pic would be nice.

Todd Brody said:

Can the channels shaved down a bit? Isn’t that what they make Dremels for? If you then reinforce the area between the remains with a block or …, wouldn’t this be strong enough?

A pic would be nice.

Being an old sailor, I’m very reluctant to weaken the keel. There are better options.

Bob Cope, FROG said:

Michael K - When you take into account that NO engine manufacturer - except Aristo Craft (gone) - ever offered a battery powered locomotive, any installation is there for a ‘hack and slash’ of the original manufacturer’s product. There are folks out there who through experience installing batteries of many natures into locomotives of many manufacturers, the advice will vary. When you compound that with the varied number of end user battery installs, the information can get a bit confusing.

Battery technology has gone the gamut from lead acid batteries back 30 years ago, through NiCAD, NiMH, Lion, and now LiPO. Each battery getting smaller for the same energy density. And who would have considered putting Battery and R/C in an On30 loco, but it is being done. Sounds to me like there was some mis-communication is all.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my halo and wings are in the wash right now…

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, I don’t want to compromise Robbie’s integrity at all - I don’t know him personally, but he seems like a good guy and a reputable dealer with a positive history. I will definitely buy some USAT passenger cars from him in the future. Thing is, my e-mail to him was very clear. There were a s**tload of LGB moguls manufactured in the 1980’s and '90’s. So many battery conversions to these very common engines and you would think that one would know that there’s a battery small enough to fit the LGB tenders without the need for a trailing car. Good thing I got a second opinion or I’d have to rely on a darn trailing car to install the battery, which I don’t want to do.

Thanks for listening. And now a word from our sponsor…

Why not just convert the locomotive to an FP45 and then the battery would fit!

Rick Isard said:

Steve, the only battery that will fit is the CR-1715 18.5V @ 6800mah Lithium-Ion (1x10) Flat Pack. It fits nicely in the fuel tank.

Does that battery weigh as much as the weights that occupy that space, now? Roughly 3 pounds.

Don Sweet said:

Hi Steve, let’s help you get this engine running. I have two options for you. See photo. 1. move speaker in the fuel tank and place MTO Train-11 18.5V 6 Ah battery under fans. 2. Use two 18.5V MTO-Train-13 in parallel to achieve 6 hour runtime mounted behind the cab.

I can deliver these tomorrow.

Don

Don, I measured the speaker. It’s too big to fit in the fuel tank without surgery, something that I’m trying to avoid.

I know next to nothing about the flow of electrons, but I’ve read here that there are problems charging batteries in series. It never made sense to me, it’s just what I recall. Thoughts?

Hi Steve, the SD-45 in my photo had a round speaker in the fuel tank. That was a surprise. Luckily I was able to Velcro the battery into the rear under the fans. It seems the previous owner drilled the holes in fuel tank. There are still two weights.

When charging battery packs the charger is rated for a voltage/current range. When you take two separate battery packs in series that might exceed the chargers rating and will not charge correctly or the charger might shut off.

In my install these are two lithium packs designed to be in Parallel not series, and can be properly charged. The purpose of using two lithium packs this way is to increase runtime. This is where the amperage rating of the packs can be doubled, 3 hours to 6 hours. Because of the advanced protection circuit module in each lithium pack it will control the correct amount of charging to each pack.

Another benefit to using two packs is when you are in a tight space and need maximum runtime.

Don

So, the SD 45 in your photo has both the 18.5v, 6 mAh, and the two 18.5 3mAh in series batteries? Is there a selector switch?

Thanks for the reassurance on charging batteries in series.

Steve, didn’t mean to confuse you. These at two examples of battery installs. I only use the rear battery installed. The forward packs are to show that you can fit them in.

FYI , it is two parallel connected lithium battery packs being charged, we are not charging two battery packs in series. It is important that I explain this clearly.

Don