Large Scale Central

Battery & Tam Valley/Airwire for MTH F7

I recently installed a battery and Tam Valley Airwire receiver into a 1:32 scale MTH F7 AA unit in a master-slave configuration. The installation was relatively easy and inexpensive because the installation uses the the Proto-Sound 3.0 control system in its DCC mode. The electrical pickups were removed from the trucks and the output of the Tam Valley DRS1 receiver was inserted into the PS 3.0 via the pickup wiring in the slave. Power is from the CVP 68000 mAh 14.8 volt Li-on battery.

Details are in a YT video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51xyXzDYdd4>. Enjoy!

Questions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Steve Seidensticker

Steve, Nice video production of the battery/rc conversion. i find it interesting to find another’s approach. I have done nine of my own using the Airwire Convertr 60-X and have enjoyed every project. The MTH locos are built very well and are easy to work on. Their built-in sound and awesome smoke generators i don’t think can be beat. The conversions are extremely straight forward now that the locos are available with their PS3 and are DCC ready.
I have upgraded a number of my older PS2 locos to PS3 in order to convert them as well. Before the PS3s were available I converted an MTH Pennsylvania Alco PA A-B-A set to battery by stuffing their TIU board into the B unit. Boy was that a tight fit! They’re so much easier to do now. I have the same F7 set as you in Norfolk Southern as an A-B-A set. I bought a second F7 A unit and put it’s guts into the B unit so now I have all three units powered, with sound and smoke as well Its pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing your great video. Mark