Large Scale Central

Basket case: Literally

I got two old LGB locos for the cost of shipping only. A few cosmetic parts missing, but mostly all there.
The engine blocks run. Someone had converted them to battery power and that was all yanked out prior to when I got them. No lights work and the factory electronics are either missing or damaged.
I thought I need something to do, so I’m going to get them put back together, re-paint into to The Elk River & Idaho and re-install a new Railpro Battery/DCC in each.
All new LED Lighting, sound, decals etc.

I’ll post the progress as I go along. It won’t be quick, I’m only going to work on them a couple hours a day.

You are starting off with a solid base.
Now that the Mik is over my next project will be converting a GP30 into a track/battery engine with Revo and a custom paint job.

I love finding things like that. It’s great seeing the potential in an otherwise giant pile of ‘stuff’

I found a guy on Ebay that has most of the cosmetic parts I needed.

1. Complete cab window assembly
  2. A set of hinged front and rear platforms.
  3. 1 set of horns. (I needed two, but I’ll use F7 horns on one of them.)

I still need a roof lamp assembly, but I’ll probably cobble up 2 new ones.

I found a decal source (Thanks to Craig referring Circus City.)
I have the RailPro stuff on order.

So now I will start to dissemble the second one and start the ground up restoration.

Great score! I look forward to watching them come back to life in your hands!
Eric

Got stuff coming such as paint, wiring supplies, LEDs and what small parts I could find.
Even though all the motor blocks ran on the bench, I’m going to completely disassemble them and hard wire the motors, clean them all, replace traction tires and re lube.

I took the first motor block apart to clean and see if it needed any gears, etc.
The grease someone had put in was rock hard and I had to use alcohol to soften it enough to
get it off. Now I have to get it off the axles. The motor runs, but a little rough. I made the decision to replace the motors with new ones.