Large Scale Central

Barry's Big Trains Bachmann Drive Conversions/How's Yours Doing?

Greetings to the large scale community!
Barry and I would like to find out how all the locomotive conversions out there are doing, along with any stories, concerns, photos, videos, etc.
Barry would like a positive or negative update on your locomotive wether it be a consolidation, 4-6-0, 2-8-0, custom conversation, (like the LGB 2-6-0 in the photos) or if you have seen his equipment run elsewhere and have comments.
He would also like to know if there have been any problems.
Look forward to hearing from everyone!

A message from Barry!

THE FOLLOWING LETTER IS A MESSAGE WRITTEN DIRECTLY BY BARRY HIMSELF AND SENT TO ME TO POST HERE. IT EXPLAINS HIS CURRENT, PAST AND FUTURE IN THE LARGE SCALE COMMUNITY.

Fellow Large Scale Enthusiasts;
In this memo I will try to explain my performance in the last few years. In 2005 I received my first pacemaker and the second in 2011 which I still have today.

Then in 2014 it was determined that I had prostate cancer. As a result I went through a massive series of successful radiation applications which took a lot out of me.
A loss of balance has also plagued me for the past 5 years which caused some falls, but I am not falling down any longer. A lot of my strength is gone but I still have enough to do occasional work in the shop, just a bit slower. Can’t play and swim anymore!!

Furthermore, the health care I have been receiving for these conditions over the past 15 years has been impressive and I can proudly say that I just turned 81 years old, June 10th.

For this reason the shop is/has been neglected lately, but has been productive in the 10 years prior to the cancer invasion.
Currently I am trying to replace some part items which are in short supply or are out. One aluminum 16 tooth gear is essential, so I tried to order a count of 25, but there is a seven to eight week lead time.
Also, the siderods, which are laser cut stainless steel are in short supply.
They have to be ordered 100 at a time in each style; three post and four post (4-6-0 and 2-8-0).
NOTE; I do make a 2-8-0 conversion to the conventional Bachmann 4-6-0 which is pretty cool.
I also produce a replacement drive for the Bachmann 2-8-0 consolidated locomotive.

I wish to let everyone know that I am still here and can attend to most of what the market needs.
If you need your locomotive fixed or need parts or a drive, feel free to call me at the number below.

Wishing you all the best and Thank You for your support over the years and in the future.

Sincerely, Barry Olsen

Barry’s Big Trains 623-936-6088

Barry’s Big Trains &
Imagination Station KOT

I understand Barry has been retired for several years. Is that true?

That being said my 2-8-0 (Outside framed 1:20.3) has been running great so far.

That’s fabulous news and I would have to say he is semi-retired. He still builds drives but a little slower now. Parts and repair are also still available, and, as he says, all his locomotives are warrantied as long as he is alive.
Do you have photos of your locomotive? Love to see them!
Ken

This is one of Berrys early drives… After had it a few years, i had him send some new steel side rods for it. Sure runs great and wish i had picked up a Consolidated type drive for my other ones and my Loc. NBR 24. These Eng’s. have run many many hr.'s. in open houses and show. With a little Lube I think they can run for ever.

Yea,
Barry’s drives really run and pull well and, hopefully for as long as you own them and longer. I know ours have a lot of operation time with a lot of stop and go and have no problems and never really have. Nice photo! Thanks for posting.
Ken

The only problem I heard of was a friend of ours (regionally) had heard of this fantastic system upgrade … ordered, paid for system, never received, waiting and waiting (must have been Barry’s semi-retired stage or huge order backlog) . . . . friend had to reach out (took a couple attempts) for a refund, which I believe heard last was received (refund).

nite,

doug

Not sure what happened there but sometime back Barry was dealing with some medical issues for a long period of time. Maybe that took place at that time. I’ll check on availability now so there is no wait, if he’s still interested. Any idea what drive it was?

I bought a locomotive at auction cheap, because it had all the monkey motion. I thought I might be able to fix it. Once I got it, I realized that its too heavy for a stock Bachmann, and I think it is a Barry’s drive in the thing. Someday I plan on seeing what I can do with the drive. The locomotive shell is all messed up.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/steamguy14/061212_153801_zpsz7gwyd2l.jpg Here’s a shot of my 4-6-0 with a Barry’s drive. Over all it works great. One minor issue, though. I’ve had the set screw for the main gear/axle work loose a couple of times.

Ben

Why not learn to post photos properly? http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

Ken, I’m wondering what brought this inquiry about.

Clearly Barry has scaled back his business.

What is the goal here if this business has been scaled back?

Is there going to be a “scaling up” of the business? Are you now in partners? Are you selling his conversions?

I’m missing the reason for the sudden motivation to get feedback.

Call me suspicious, or just experienced, want to know the reason.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Ken, I’m wondering what brought this inquiry about.

Clearly Barry has scaled back his business.

What is the goal here if this business has been scaled back?

Is there going to be a “scaling up” of the business? Are you now in partners? Are you selling his conversions?

I’m missing the reason for the sudden motivation to get feedback.

Call me suspicious, or just experienced, want to know the reason.

Greg

Same “feelings” I had when I read Ken’s post. It was only a couple of years ago that I had email discussions with Barry regarding his newer products for the Connie (mainly the new lead truck). I have one on my Connie. Barry was semi-retired at that point and building fewer drives. But he was STILL the sole owner (no partners involved). He told me then that my drive was guaranteed as long as he lived. It would be interesting to know IF Ken is now involved in the business. The last I heard Barry was STILL living in Arizona. Ken is living in E. Helena, Montana. Many interesting aspects to this post…curious as to motivation also.

I may be interested in his drives. I have the Bachman 280 and 440. Where, how much and when could I get?

Mickey, since Barry took down the web site, and the “company” sort of does not exist, you call Barry on the phone number in the first post.

This is from his last posts and also what I know from people who have been in association with him for years.

I can verify that that phone number is indeed Barry’s personal phone.

Regards, Greg

Color me naive, but if Barry wants to see how his babies have fared, I can appreciate that.

Perhaps Ken contacted him and found out that Barry is still at it and decided to help advertise.

I can see a conversation opening up thread about; Hmmm I wonder how they are today?

So that’s my non story take.

Happy Innocent Rails, (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

I have one of the very early ten wheeler conversions I got from Berry when we were at the Queen Mary. It runs great I only wish I had metal drive rods on it. I don’t run it much anymore as I have several Annies that I kit bashed and scratch build Vanderbilt tenders for, two C19s and a K27. Bachmann did such a great job building them, especially the C19s that the Barry’s drive loco just doesn’t get much track time.

James

I think there is a bit of misconception here. John is correct in as Barry would like to know how his engines are doing. Him and I are friends and speak to each other on a regular basis. (every 3 days or so)
No, we are not in business together nor am I taking over for him. We were simply talking the other night about all the different drives he has built over time and the improvements made and we both thought it would be great to see photos of the locomotives in operation and get reports on how the they all were doing.
Since Barry has had no Internet for quite a while due to Internet issues where he lives he could not do this himself at this time, so I offered, as a friend, to help and not just for that one reason but also because of his previous assistance to our program in the past.
As for product, repair, etc. Barry still does some projects in his shop for folks off and on if they need something but more on a personal level, not a business one. But you still can contact him at the number above and tell him what you need and see if he is able to get it done for you. So yes he is semi retired.

James; Contact Barry for the side rods. I am sure he can get them for you.

Mickey; I would also check with him regarding your need for a 2-8-0 drive as I believe he has some ready now. Not 100 % sure but I know he’s been building them lately.
Not sure if he ever built a 4-4-0 drive or not. Have to ask him that.
Barry is in process of getting his Internet back and will view this post as soon as it is back up and running.
Please feel free to post photos of his locomotives in operation or however you wish, if you own any and/or any updates of how his engines are doing.
Thanks for the comments and all the best!
Ken

Thanks Ken, since we all like Barry very much, you can probably see how we might be protective of someone “speaking for him”.

If you had provided the paragraphs above on the first post it would have allayed those feelings.

Thanks for the explanation.

Greg

Not a problem Greg, I fully understand and I feel the same way. I am sometimes not the best with these posts and I am using a smartphone too, if that tells you anything. Live and learn!
Glad someone is looking out for him. Thanks!
Ken

No. 25 had a BBT 460 drive put in it somewhere in the early to mid 90’s. Still going strong. It’s been converted to Batteries and R/C.

D&RGW #12 also has a BBT drive in it, but it’s never been converted to Batteries and R/C, so it’s been relegated to “shelf queen”.

Both of these are original Bachmann Big Haulers purchased in the late 80’s, early 90’s.