Large Scale Central

Barry, how's it coming?

The new drive for the Bachmann Connie.
Mine’s sitting in the deadline awaitin’.

jb

John,

Unfortunately, the usual answer, I am working on tooling. Made a mistake on one side of the major jig, so have to do it over.

Had to work on a custom Beyer-Garrett (rent is due) shipped Saturday.

New motor mounts yesterday.

Today, two projects 1. Connie drill jigs, 2. Uintah custom.

The Uintah custom is very interesting for me, I started two units about ten years ago and then had to park everything. A new request so I dug everything up. The drives are an old design, so have to be revamped, but the wheels are ready and the wheel spacing is custom. But the real exciting part of this is the ultimate size of this loco.
I haven’t checked, but it may rival the K-locos. The cab width is 6", then add the grab irons.

John, The tooling is my highest priority (aside from paying the bills which enables me to continue).

Barry - BBT

Just an update.

There are five drill jigs for the gearbox. Have finished all five, finally. Am finishing the blanks for the first trials, drill the bits and fit them together. Checked the main gear mesh - gorgeous. The end pieces on the main section will have to be remade, the holes to be tapped for the top and bottom covers are not right. That is how the day ended.

Barry - BBT

Barry,
Fergit the Connie!
Move on to the K-27! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

John,
why don’t you sell that connie to me so you don’t have to worry about it.

Naw…
Gonna use it as unudder crash display…:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

ya jus killin me

John,

I see I have checked back here a bit sooner than later.

Just finished the first iteration of the five drill jigs needed for the gearbox. Have checked out the main body drill jig, it seems real good now. Had to relocate a couple of small holes, one for a #50 drill and the other for a #43.
Now each of the other drill jigs will produce a part for attachment to the main body and their holes must line up correctly. The gear train mesh is excellent.

I have a K-27 gearbox. Really one of the best I have ever seen. I am going to replace two brass gears with three brass or acetal gears, thereby reducing the size of the gears and increasing the numerical gear ratio.

I promise to check back here more often, especially when I have reached an accomplishment.

Barry - BBT

Barry,

Thanks for all of your hard work!!! I will try to be patient. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes.

There are bunch of us chomping at the bit to get a decent ratio gear set for the K!!

Andre’ et al,

I have a “K” gearbox sitting in my living room. As soon as I clear the Annie drill jigs I will complete the study and order the parts for the “improvement”. Since I know the motor potential and no one else has any idea, I can’t wait.

Barry - BBT

Barry Olsen said:
Andre' et al,

I have a “K” gearbox sitting in my living room. As soon as I clear the Annie drill jigs I will complete the study and order the parts for the “improvement”. Since I know the motor potential and no one else has any idea, I can’t wait.

Barry - BBT

Barry great news.

I look forward to hearing more about your design as it progresses. The 9000 is a excellent motor and indeed has a lot of potential. If the calculations are correct increasing the gear ratio from 1:14 to about 1:18 or so should increase the overall effieiency and reduce the current draw while not overly decreasing the top speed.

Let me know if there is anything you need that would help you in this effort.

Stan Ames
www.tttrains.com/largescale

Barry, you have a brother?

I was at the Chicago Botanic yesterday when somebody handed me a note. “This guy says his brother makes drives for G.” It had your name.

So does TOC!
Met him at a train show 2 years ago.

Tom,

Yes, I have a brother living in Chicago, Northbrook area. In Fact, I will be traveling on the 23rd to join he and his family for Christmas. I have another brother living in Florida, in the Pensacola area. Both are younger, I am the old F…T. Great guys.

Barry - BBT

Actually, TOC has two brothers. Met them both a few years ago while visiting. Neat guys.

Barry - BBT

I thought he only had one brother, “TIC” …

Greg

Greg

Well there could be ‘Tac’ or ‘Toe’ also!

Dave

Or the uncanny look alikes in a New England sitcom from years ago.

Darryl, Darryl and Darryl. :wink:

TonyWalsham said:
Or the uncanny look alikes in a New England sitcom from years ago. Larry, Darryl and Darryl. :wink:

You mean these good lookin’ guys?

(http://celadoncreations.typepad.com/celadon_creations/images/2007/06/01/larry_darryl_darryl.jpg)

-Brian