Large Scale Central

Ballast?

I have looked at alot of the suggestions as to what to use for ballast. I have layed down a layer of Step 2 leveling sand. What to use now? I was going to add a layer of pea stone, lay the track on top of that and then add a layer of leveling sand on top of the track to fill in between the ties. Will this work. I do not have access to some of the material that others have used. I only have local garden shops and Home Depot at my disposal. Thanks for any suggestions.

Just make sure whatever stone you use for ballast has “flat” sides and is not rounded.
Ralph

I’ve been using both stone dust, and quarter-minus aggregate. The aggregate seems to stay in place better, but the stone dust is more to scale. The dust also washes out pretty easily. I’m pondering an experiment mixing some Portland cement in with the dust to see if I can make it firm.

So I guess that means the Pea stone is off the table for ballasting.

Where does one get stone dust; Home Depot? Can I try to use leveling sand mixed with a little of Portland cement?

Yea, pea stone is round gravel, and will roll, wash, move, flatten, and generally go everywhere. Stone dust I got from the local landscaping supply company. I did a couple of brick walkways, and just ordered a couple more yards of it. Try the local stone yard, places like that. I don’t have any experience with leveling sand, so can’t help you there.

So frustrating. I obviously do not know how to attach photos. :frowning:

In Connecticut you should be able to get decomposed granite (stone dust) from any rock yard. Liquid polymers are available as an additive to stabilize your base material. The landscape supply or rock yard will be able to help you with using stabilizers.

Dan
P-Town & West Side RR

shelley sherbondy said:
So frustrating. I obviously do not know how to attach photos. :(
Just make sure you dont have any spaces in the file or directory name.

I’m using Chicken Grit mixed to the correct size and colour.

(http:///F-PIX/Ballast10.jpg)

This may help, I used 3" of 3/4 minus under 1/4 minus Bluestone for ballast. Every 18" to 24" I used a 10" plastic stake to screw the track to. I have had no track movement whatsoever. In your area you have a big freeze - thaw problem so this may help stabilize your road bed. You want to minimize moisture under the track and promote drainage to prevent frost heave. Here’s a link to my photos of my RR construction in 2007. Some show the laying of the road bed. Good luck.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113969103687030893632/ConstructionOfOurGardenRR2007#

Dan
P-Town & West Side RR

Thanks!!! I did have a space in the file name.

I use 1/4 inch pea gravel works just fine!

(http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/507/UPcab11.jpg)

I buy it by the five gallon bucket and run it through a 1/4 x 1/4 screen.

Don & Craig Hofsheier said:
I use 1/4 inch pea gravel works just fine!

(http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/507/UPcab11.jpg)

I buy it by the five gallon bucket and run it through a 1/4 x 1/4 screen.

Don, Your “pea gravel” appears to have flat surfaces. Around these and many other parts, what is referred to as pea gravel is round. Ralph

Hi Shelly - Welcome to LSC. There is a Tilcon quarry or stone yard near you in North Branford. The Stone Dust produced by Tilcon is “trap rock”, not decomposed granite, which I think looks better than the granite. They call it Stone Sand locally. It contains pieces from about 1/8" down to dust and works great for ballast. Home Depot used to sell a bagged product called Mr. Granite Step Two, made by Old Castle which was very similar to the stone dust. My Home depot recently changed to a different brand and the “step 2” is now more like sand. In any case, buying it from the stone yard or landscape supply costs much lass than bagged goods. Here’s a close up…

(http://www.cvsry.com/images/WxBal-1-640.jpg)

I didn’t go for the fancy smancy stuff.
I wanted it to look real for my area.
I used 1b lime stone and topped it with crushed lime stone called cracker dust.
The cracker dust gets hard after it sets up, but can be reworked if you break it back up.
I buy it in bulk.
A scoop of 1B cost me 11.00 bucks half ton and the cracker dust is 13.00 bucks for 3/4 ton.
If it wasn’t raining Id take a pic for you.

In the Seattle area we go to Manufactures Minerals just north of 405 between Tukwila and Renton. Need a map to find it as it is a round about route to get to it. Anyway, I have used Bridge Topping, which is hard and about 1/8" minus, I may try the next size larger next time. I have read that some have used a quary waste which is fine and sharp so it will lock together.

Mixing in Portland cement is a so so thing. I have done that with some succuss but it can not take any flexing at all!!!

Paul

Thanks for all the input. I have been bending track all afternoon. So this week will be exploring my options of ballast here in CT. I think Tilcon will be my best option. But I also like the idea of chicken grit. Again, thank you all for your time and interest into my ?'s :slight_smile: I’m sure there will be more as I go forward.

Glad to help. Our payment is due in pictures! Show off what you’re doing, how its coming along. We love photos here!

yep we want pictures!