Large Scale Central

Back-to-back wheel gauge

Here is a 3D printed tool for gauging wheels. It’s exactly 40 mm wide.

STL file attached.

pretty cool, have you thought about making one that has the NMRA tolerances on it? max and min?

Perhaps the width is stepped?

Greg

That wouldn’t be too difficult. My thought with this one was to use it vertically in the arbor press and ensure that the gauge is the same all the way around. But a go/no-go gauge in the same style would be useful for just checking gauge.

That’s very cool. Thanks for including the STL file. Now if I can just figure out a place to get one printed. I’m guessing that’s easy from some on-line fabricator nearby…

I would be happy to make a few and mail them to folks here.

I’d be happy to pay for materials time and shipping if you let me know how much.

What are the units in the STL file? Millimeters?

Jim Rowson said:

What are the units in the STL file? Millimeters?

I expect so. I didn’t specify otherwise, and the design was in millimeters.

Don’t forget the gauge on the outside of the wheel flange. If the wheels happen to have a thick flange and you set the back to back then the wheels may not fit properly between the rails.

Good point. The issue I have is that the back-to-back dimension needs to be gauged to fit in the flangeways on my Code 250 switches. I’m pulling them open, and then pressing them back against this gauge.

I’d like to see one gauge block that gauges not only the distance between the insides of the wheel flanges but also gauge the distance between the outside of the wheels and the ends of the axle on both sides. You know, verify that the wheels are centered equidistant on the axle in addition to verifying the distance between the wheels all in one shot? Is that doable, or is ‘eyeing’ it good enough? I have quite a few Bachmann 92421 31 mm metal wheel sets that I need to check!

Meanwhile, please put me on the list of those who would like to have this tool. Thanks, Eric!

Who checks wheel spacing until a derailment?

I don’t

Nice work Eric

Michael Kirrene said:

I’d like to see one gauge block that gauges not only the distance between the insides of the wheel flanges but also gauge the distance between the outside of the wheels and the ends of the axle on both sides. You know, verify that the wheels are centered equidistant on the axle in addition to verifying the distance between the wheels all in one shot? Is that doable, or is ‘eyeing’ it good enough? I have quite a few Bachmann 92421 31 mm metal wheel sets that I need to check!

Interesting idea. NMRA doesn’t have a standard for overall axle length, and I don’t know they’re all the same (I haven’t compared various brands). Any shape is possible, but I don’t know how you’d center it for an arbitrary axle length.

I’ll PM you about sending one.

To clarify - the wheels can still be in gauge but maybe not centered on the axle.

For the Rooster: Some of us are proactive and want to get it done before a derailment happens and the cars fall and hit the dirt/cement. And…switches are bitches.

Michael: I understood what you meant. I’m just not sure how to accomplish it if the axle length isn’t predictable, since the distance between the end of the axle and face of the wheel when it’s in gauge would be manufacturer specific.

Eric Reuter said:

Here is a 3D printed tool for gauging wheels. It’s exactly 40 mm wide.

STL file attached.

Eric

When I try to download the STL file, I get a page not found error. Is it me or is there something wrong?

Tom

Tom:

I had the same problem. I fiddled about a bit and found that if you paste this url into a browser (well at least if you use Chrome), it will download the file:

http://largescalecentral.com/public/ynforum_attach/37/41/02/23cf8_a655.stl?c=4ab3&fc='Wheel%20Gauge%20v1.stl'

Not sure why it isn’t working correctly as is.

EDITED: to say that you can just click on that link above and it should download. Magic!

It looks like the board may not allow that file type. Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0co5uzy3tisc6u6/Wheel%20Gauge%20v1.stl?dl=0

I am not sure of the file type issue, but I AM sure of the file name. This site DOES NOT like spaces in the file name. Looking at the file name there are 2 spaces in the file name. I am also not sure about the extra characters after the file extension .STL.

Eric

That worked. Thank you.

Tom

All track is not a perfect 45mm spacing. I have found this to be true on my layout and friends as well. (Even indoors).

Aluminum is the worse culprit. Especially on the curves.

The rail head can tip in or out a little.

The problem is usually fixed after I run my Train Li dual bender to straighten it up.

You need a little side to side play on the wheel sets. When I build my rolling stock, I always make sure I have a little slop.

My 2 cents…