Large Scale Central

Bachmann track?

Hi,
New to this site and fairly new to g scale. I am planning a layout in my basement and am thinking of using Bachmann track. I know that it will not stand up to the outdoor elements, but am wondering if I can successfully use it indoors. Does it come in longer lengths than 1 foot? Are there any other radius curves other than 4’ availalbe?
Thanks

The track will last forever inside, but they appear to make one size curved track.

Sharp curves and 1 footers are it.

I tried using the Botchmann track once upon a time (2nd gen set… 16+ years ago) The plating arced off the loco wheels in very short order. I ended up tossing the track and parting out the loco. IMO they’re being stubborn stupid by continuing to produce crap that is that bad.

Buy used, buy another brand.

Hi John.
Welcome.
With the limits of a 4’er, 12" length and plating coming off, I would advice a “no” as well.
Code 250 aluminum rail and tie strips will work well indoors, without spending the family fortune.

Bmann track will discolor and eventually rust given even just a little humidity. The 10 years old stuff I have in my storage area has some pitting and its inside my house. Bmann track has one other huge disadvantage not mentioned so far, and that is its one-size fits all lenths, there are no 6", 3" or 1.5" straight or curved make-up sections like you can get in LGB or even Aristo, as a veteran of several indoor layout incarnations I can assure you this WILL be a major issue when planning anything beyond just the simplist of layouts. Bachmann track is hollow and cutting it and keeping it from folding or twisting once cut is a PITA, that and the steel connector pins inside the track are not easily interchangable. Now that said, if you are planning a simple oval that you know will fit into the given space without any track cutting required, then YES the Bmann track will work. But if you planning something more elaborate, with varied curves then I would suggest going the used track route, R1 brass track is plentiful and can be found for cheap on Ebay (avoid the Buy It Now sellers and go for auctions only) and be patient, R1 turnouts (which Bmann does make) are also easy to find on Ebay and the last time I bought some track I was surprised that the Bmann track wasnt a whole lot less than new brass track, so compare and use whats best for your plans.

John, Run on the B’man track till you get replacement track, it wears out , or rusts out. But start buying another brand of replacement track to fit your needs

Welcome John