Large Scale Central

Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 spring test, please

I’ve been fixing a very nice Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 which looks hardly used. Unfortunately the gear was split and someone who didn’t have the instructions tried to fix it. Broke several parts of the baseplate, but nothing tragic and I got the gear done.

However, I noticed as I was putting the wheel bearing covers back on, that the front axle (which hadn’t been touched) was sprung, and the others were not. Then I remembered there is supposed to be a tiny spring on top of each bearing. Duh! :slightly_frowning_face:

I got a lead from FB that “miniature compression springs” are fairly easy to find. However, I suspect the loco doesn’t need them - especially if it has the front axle sprung. [Does anyone know the diameter of the springs?]

If you have one of these locos, and you do an experiment for me? I want to know if the springs are fully compressed if the loco is on level track. If you slide a screwdriver under the front axle on one side, does the axle go up, or does the whole loco go up a little and the front axle goes down to stay on the track? Same for the center and back axles.

Many thanks for any help! :pray: [Wow, we do have a great choice of emoji now!]

Forget that question. As I have a sprung front axle, it won’t take a minute to pop a spring out and measure it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: and the answer is 2.5mm x 8mm. No idea what the spring rate is, but it’s quite firm.

A spring test? (But I didn’t study! :grin:).
I think my whole life is a test I didn’t study for… :weary:

Oh. Did I spring it on you? :rofl:

Pete, when you do find the spring, you will have to purchase a large qty. try lee spring, associated spring, century spring among others.

Al P.

That’s what I found. I ordered small quantities from eBay and Aliexpress, but all are coming from China so the loco is now a shelf queen until they get here. Nice looking though!

1 Like

Just to bring this to a close, I am reliably informed by David Fletcher in Australia, (the bloke who did the livery drawings for Bachmann,) that the 2-6-0 never had springs on the back 2 axles!

So I can put this beauty up for sale as I don’t need yet another.