Large Scale Central

Bachmann Connie?

Last year I bought some stuff that had come from an estate sale.

It included a Bachmann Yellow Pine Lumber Company 2-8-0 that was bundled with other stuff that I was more interested in.

I checked the Bachmann site but found little about the 2-8-0’s.

I also did a search here and found little about them.

I have paid little attention to Bachmann locos because of past incompatibilities with some LGB turnouts etc.

The Connie appears to be 1:20.3 and has two sets of blind drivers which suggests it should be able to handle R3 curves & R3 turnouts.

I did see some write ups about gear problems but the loco seems to run OK.

Have there been any reviews of this loco or does anyone have a downloadable manual for it?

Thanks,

Jerry

I run mine on LGB R3 all the time…Typically pulling 2 AMS coaches and a caboose. Converted to battery (Super Easy).

I purchased the replacement gear from Bachmann but have had no need as of yet to replace it. It is currently out of stock. NWSL carries a delrin replacement as well.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843

Oh, and I grow tired of Boomer posting that same picture…It makes me want that ‘onion’ stack all the more!!!

:wink:

Mark V said:

Oh, and I grow tired of Boomer posting that same picture…It makes me want that ‘onion’ stack all the more!!!

:wink:

I gotta say that I hate guys like Boomer who are so good at doing stuff I cannot do (or that I am unwilling and or too impatient to do). :wink: Nice job Boomer. I should add that I have no objection to anyone posting their legitimate complaints about any product or brand. They have every right to do so. My only point is that I am having fun with my toys (all brands) and I would appreciate it if they would respect that and not rain on my parade (I promise not to rain on their parades). Jerry

Boomer Keel said:

Yeah, what Jerry said!

and I also hate that Boomer guy and his little green engine too!

signed Boomer

Boomer, you may recall I ‘borrowed’ that scheme for my own Connie.

:slight_smile:

I finally remembered how to get on the Bachmann forum. It looks like I might be able to get a paper copy of the instructions.

Thanks guys,

Jerry

One of mine had the cracked gear right out of the box, so I just put a BBT gear box in it.

New Pittman motor, gear and all.

It will pull stumps.

Bob,

Unless my mind is slipping (totally possible), I don’t remember Bachmann ever producing a C-16. The topic is Consolidations, which are not C-16s.

C-16 is an inside frame 2-8-0 and the Connie is an outside frame 2-8-0m not to be confused.

Barry

Gentlemen; The C-16 came from Delton, who is now long gone! Aristo-Craft bought them out! And they made sprung Arch Bar trucks which were great, I buy all I find on e-Bay. The Delton Loco was 1 to 24 or 1/2 scale so it is a very small engine. Also, the Bachmann Outside Frame 2-8-0 is a much larger Loco!

Paul

A steam locomotive, whether inside or outside frame, with a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement, is known as a “Consolidated”.

The first B’mann 2-8-0 was nicknamed “The Connie”…short for Consolidated.

The latest B’mann 2-8-0, a C19 class D&RGW locomotive is also a Consolidated.

The Delton and Aristo model of the C16 class D&RGW locomotive, a 2-8-0, is also a Consolidated. Delton and Aristo lettered their model for various railroads, whether those railroads had them, and classed them as C16’s or not. The scale is 1:24

I think that I’ll stay out of this religious discussion. :slight_smile:

No evil religion involved, Steve. All I put in my contribution to this thread is just simple fact, with the hope that others might learn a little more about steam locomotives, and what they have been named over the years.

The names I mentioned, and the list it came from, are the names given for the “Wheel Arrangements”.

Some railroads might have named their particular locomotives differently, but in this particular case, with the 2-8-0 wheel arrangement; it didn’t mater whether it was an inside frame or outside frame.

Yup.

What’s Consolidation? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:
What’s in a name? that which we call a Consolidation
By any other name would smell as sweet;

OK, that is enought you two! Go to your corner and sit down! Paul

Egads, another of Bob’s trouble shooters is on our case, Steve…how come we can’t have any fun here, anymore !!

Father Fred, I don’t work for Bob!

Hmmmmm… a freelancer. Or worse… Ronin! :slight_smile:

A quick update. I sold the Bachmann Connie to a friend because it would not fit through the hole in the outside wall of my house to get to the outside layout and could not get through back to back LGB R3 turnouts to go from one main track to the other.

Although it ran fine for me the gear broke about a week after I sold the loco.

Barry did not have any replacement units but eventually Bachmann got new metal gear boxes in and fixed the Connie.

Now my friend is very happy with his new Loco.

Jerry

My wife watches the trains and helps with the horticulture. I rarely mention nomenclature.

I am certain that if I mentioned the name Connie my wife would develop suspicions of another woman somewhere on the horizon.

Can’t take that risk, so no Connies here, female or railroad. lol

Steve, I trust you know what a Ronin is! Paul