Large Scale Central

Bachmann C-19

From mrr.trains.com/en/News and Reviews/New Products/2012/08/2012 National Train Show preliminary report.aspx Large scale locomotives Denver & Rio Grande Western class C-19 2-8-0 steam locomotive. 1:20.3 proportion. Denver & Rio Grande Western (Flying Grande lettering with short tender, “bumble bee” scheme with short tender, or Royal Gorge herald with long tender), Rio Grande Southern (sunrise herald with short tender), painted black but unlettered with short tender, and painted black but unlettered with red and white trim and long tender. Can motor; all-metal gearbox; printed-circuit board to accommodate direct current, Digital Command Control, or remote control operation; and two optical sensors for adjusting timing and count of steam chuffs. $1,575. October 2012. Ready-to-run. Bachmann, 215-533-1600, www.bachmanntrains.com

WOOHOO!

Thanks Bruce. I also have to thank someone anonymously that sent me the initial information a couple weeks ago.

I think I want a couple of those…

I would love to have the black and unlettered w/ white trim. It would be a nice addition beside my connie. The street price should be about $700 to start.

Terry

Great news! I can see a NEW #315 in my roster.:slight_smile:

NICE! Now I REALLY need to win the lottery. I guess I need to buy a ticket.

Man, not another steam engine… :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
NICE! Now I REALLY need to win the lottery. I guess I need to buy a ticket.

Have I got a deal for you!

(http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/20000/3000/700/23702/23702.strip.gif)

Looks like the only way to get the modern version is to go for unpainted.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/Locomotives/BachmannC19.JPG)

But, I probably need to thin the herd first… :frowning:

WOW… Not only do I get to work with the real #315, I can have one of my own. Does the Oct '12 really mean Feb’13?

Very nice and well predicted, a bit expensive for me. But I am building my own EBT style one anyway.

Alec

A few more details from the PDF (http://www.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_2012.pdf)
1:20.3 C-19 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE (DCC READY)
$1575.00 each
SHIPPING OCTOBER 2012
This groundbreaking Large Scale C-19 2-8-0 model has many advanced features not offered
by any other manufacturer of model trains, including:
• powerful precision-balanced can motor connected to an all-metal gearbox and gears with appropriate gear reduction combine to create an
eight-wheel drive system with superior performance at realistic speeds
• equalized locomotive suspension system to provide super-smooth operation on uneven track
• electrical pickup from all drive wheels and both tender trucks
• advanced nonproprietary plug-and-play electronic printed circuit board to accommodate the control systems of your choice, including DC
power, NMRA/NEM DCC, and/or RC operation
• two optical sensors, one in each cylinder, give you the option of adjusting the timing and count of steam chuffs
• choose either DCC or DC operation of the smoke unit, cab lights, realistic firebox flicker and ash pan glow, and classification lights
• choose track or battery power pickup, operation according to NMRA or Large Scale railroading practices, and motor power on/off
• factory-installed speaker, with wire pigtail, for easy installation of optional aftermarket sound system
• Johnson bar is connected to the fully adjustable inside Stephenson valve gear by a scale reach bar for reversing linkage that operates per prototype
• constant lighting of the LED headlight, classification lights, and cab light using soft white LED technology

Ah! A little excitement for a change!

Bruce Chandler said:
• Johnson bar is connected to the fully adjustable inside Stephenson valve gear by a scale reach bar for reversing linkage that operates per prototype
Being a non steamer type of person I have to ask this question, Why? What good does a Johnson bar do on an electric locomotive... Live steam I understand. Sounds like just one more moving part to break and fail... Please enlighten me :)
Bruce Chandler said:
But, I probably need to thin the herd first... :(
Yea, you and me both........;)
Craig Townsend said:
Bruce Chandler said:
Being a non steamer type of person I have to ask this question, Why? What good does a Johnson bar do on an electric locomotive... Live steam I understand. Sounds like just one more moving part to break and fail... Please enlighten me :)
That's one that I sure don't understand.

Will it be R1 capable?

Don’t laugh, the Connie with a little tweeking could be made R1 capable, if this uses the same drive as the Connie and has prototypical blind center flanges, wink wink.

Victor Smith said:
Will it be R1 capable?

Don’t laugh, the Connie with a little tweeking could be made R1 capable, if this uses the same drive as the Connie and has prototypical blind center flanges, wink wink.

:lol:
I don’t know about that, but the Lil Big Hauler minis should work out great on your Pizza layout.
Bachmann has pictures up on their web-site.
Ralph

Well it was as expected in many circles a C19, because Blackstone did one and the engineering was avalible. To me this is unfortunate as it would have been nice to get a different class Consol say C18 the 315 (Gary A) is a C18 and has much different driver spacing than the C19, and Accucraft has yet to do one yet. What would that have meant would be a bigger market share, as many who shelled out for a brass one probbally will not buy another, as it will probally not play nice gear ratio wise. Speaking of gear ratio notice that they skirted the issue of telling us exactly what this ratio is? and they have kept the optical chuff sensors every one disliked on the K27. As for enginnering work how much better could you get than to buy the Durango Historical Societys book? it has all you need to make a model in it.

I will probbally purchase one, but i am on the fence as to the version today. lets see what the market comes up with for presale pricing.

Yeah Ralph I just posted a seperate topic about those, they are sweet! and your right, I had the pizza in mind. :slight_smile:

I wish it was a ge70 tonner!