Large Scale Central

Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis on sale again

I happened to notice that Bachmann is selling some of the 4-6-0 chassis at $40, a 55% savings. The Anniversary versions are $55.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_69_623&sort=20a&page=4

Geez $40 bucks is a good buy on those

Uh huh.

Now how do I know what chassis will fit under a regular Big Hauler?

I have no real clue bit I thought they basically were all the same as far as interchangeablity. I thought it was all about details. Could be way off base here.

Devon, I bought one to put under a very early, probably the first generation track power 10 wheeler, and the air tanks had to be removed so the cylinders would fit. So, no, they are not all the same. I should get one for my Reading locomotive, so when she finally eats the drive gear, she doesn’t become a shelf queen indefinitely.

Lets see, the tracks were laid in 02. So, she is probably 14 years old, and still running with the original gear. Not too bad for a Bachmann Big Hauler 10 wheeler. I take that back. she ran under the Christmas tree, before the tracks were laid outside, so she could be 15 by now.

Edit, again, fur da spell chequer. Thanks Bill

Thanks for clarifying. It’s good to.know.

Thanks for clarifying. It’s good to.know.

David Maynard said:
. . .

Now how do I know what chassis will fit under a regular Big Hauler?

What’s a “regular” Big Hauler? George has 5 generations on his website, and then there’s the Anniversary and more recent ones.

I did a search and found the 90031 seems to be the Great Norethern Express set. Most of those have the gen 5 chassis with the removable gear oil plug on the bottom.

Pete, the one I have is not an Anniversary edition. The one I tried to put a chassis under was the first generation track power one. That was a failure since the valve chests are too large.

The Reading one is 4th or fifth generation, I forget. Its a later generation then the Circus 10 wheeler I had, that just plain wore out. I bought the circus engine used, and the previous owner didn’t know what lubrication was.

The thing is, all the ones I saw on Bachmann’s site were Anniversary edition drives of one flavor or another, so I have my doubts that any of them would fit. And since Barry isn’t mass producing drives anymore, and I procrastinated getting one for the eventuality of the one under my Reading engine going Tango Uniform, I guess I am Sierra Oscar Lima.

This is a about a 2nd generation Big Hauler, came out after the original that was RC/battery powered. It was a “Prairie Flyer” set.

Bought it in 1988, installed a BBT 460 in 1992 or 3.

The Reading one I have is later then that. I tried putting an Annie drive under one of that vintage and it didn’t fit.

You didn’t try hard enough. They can be made to fit all generations of B’mann 4-6-0s (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Joe, If I swap the cylinders, then maybe.

I know I can make it fit, my original point was that its not a drop in replacement, and I was wondering if there was one.

You either swap cylinders or (easier yet) shorten the air tanks like I did.

BTW I just recently converted this second generation one to battery and R/C using the Crest Revolution.

Yea, I could do that. I was just wondering if there was a version of the drives that would be a drop in replacement.

David,

There is a “drop in” version for you, but it will not be an “Annie” chassis. Bill Canelos on the Bachmann forum can determine which one is for you if you tell him the model number or road name and engine number. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Maynard said:

Pete, the one I have is not an Anniversary edition. The one I tried to put a chassis under was the first generation track power one. That was a failure since the valve chests are too large.

The Reading one is 4th or fifth generation, I forget. Its a later generation then the Circus 10 wheeler I had, that just plain wore out. I bought the circus engine used, and the previous owner didn’t know what lubrication was.

The thing is, all the ones I saw on Bachmann’s site were Anniversary edition drives of one flavor or another, so I have my doubts that any of them would fit. And since Barry isn’t mass producing drives anymore, and I procrastinated getting one for the eventuality of the one under my Reading engine going Tango Uniform, I guess I am Sierra Oscar Lima.

David,

The link I posted was to the Anniversary units. In the left column you will also find “4-6-0 Standard”, and then body/chassis. Try this:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_69_671_669

I think the 90035 is probably the closest one for the older locos. It has plastic valve gear, no walschaerts, and the plastic rail and marker posts on the front.

Ok, thanks. Are they upgraded, so they are not as susceptible to failure?

David,

I do not think they are “upgraded” but they are new.

Joe Zullo said:

David,

I do not think they are “upgraded” but they are new.

Again, it all depends what you currently have. Is there a plug for greasing the gears under your back axle? If not, then I suspect (but I don’t know for sure) these will be the gen 5+ upgraded units with the better gears and the grease plug. I suggest you ask on the Bachmann forums.

If you make the Anniversary unit fit, it will definitely be an upgrade to any Big Hauler with plastic rods.