Large Scale Central

B&O Railroad Museum in Flora, Il

I had some work to do in Flora today, so while I was there I swung by and checked out the railroad museum.

http://floradepot.com/

Inside there is a room full of old railroad memorabilia. I didn’t take any pictures of it…wasn’t sure if I could. The lady there just opened the doors and turned me loose. lol. There was also a nice HO Scale layout in another room. I did take pics of it.

I’d been meaning to stop there for a while. Finally had some extra time and glad I swung by.

The layout is quite picturesque , I wouldn’t mind having a play with that .

Nice pictures .

Mike

Thanks for sharing, Matt…

There’s a similar B&O museum at the old depot in Ellicott City, MD. just outside of Baltimore. It also has a small HO layout.

Fantastic! Didn’t know it existed. Andy C. and I were over there m,any years ago with a B&O officianado and went searching for the foundation of the old turntable pit. Knowing the location we found it without much difficulty.

This has been one of the historical railroad lines I’ve studied. It was originally the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad, 1851-1870’2 before becoming part of the B&O Southwestern and the tracks run by our house about a block south.

Flora has always been a big division point and is where the local runs from today. The station was is bad shape and then rebuilt and then bankrupt and reopened as a restaurant and then bankrupt. So maybe they got their act together.

Looks like another ROADTRIP.

Ric it’s a neat little museum. It’s not very big, but there is some really OLD memoribilia in it. I can’t believe the lady just turned the lights and and said here you go. My wife looked at me and said, don’t TOUCH anything. lol.

Is the museum in an old depot, near the tracks, or hard to find ?

Dale, it’s right next to the tracks, on the north side…

It’s on old rt 50. downtown flora right on the tracks. Dairy queen is just across road from it. Here’s their website:
http://floradepot.com/

Matt,

You mentioned DQ across the street and Dale is already salivating. :wink:

Ric Golding said:

Matt,

Chocolate sundae anyone?..:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

Ric Golding said:

Matt,

Chocolate sundae anyone?..:wink: