Large Scale Central

Automatic turnout control

Greetings from another newcomer. I am building a simple, (single point, out and back on a reversing loop) layout. Once it is running, I’ll develop the point with a run-a-round and other refinements. The turnout in the loop is out of sight from normal viewing and I am having trouble finding a way to make it automatic. My hope is to tie it to a switch machine that will respond to sensors in the track. Track polarity is not an issue, I am using Air-wire and battery power. Has anyone had any experience with this challenge?

make the switch spring loaded to one side - Use a light spring and the train will push it’s way through

Greg

Use the LGB switch with the EPL drive and the switch will be thrown by the engine front wheels and stay in that position.

Now your train will alternate in its direction through the loop.

Thanks guys, Greg solved the problem.

That’s never worked for me. The switch sends the train the intended direction, it loops around, and derails when it hits the switch again.

Tom, that’s because you use the Bachmann Annie which has a leading truck that’s notorious for derailing in the best of conditions.

I never had any problems running through Aristo switches the wrong way when they were fitted with stock manual throws.

Regards, Greg

I use 2 LGB manual spring loaded switches for my christmas layout. Set the switch to the direction you want the train to enter the loop each time. The train enters the loop in the direction of the switch and pushes the manual spring load upon exiting. The switch then springs back automatically to the set direcition.

Single mainline with a reverse loop on each end. Works great!

http://timothydehan.com/redmondcreekrr/videos/ChristmasTrain2006Daylight_1.wmv

I started this thread and 10 months later found there no problem to solve. It turns out (pun intended) that it can’t get any simpler. Train approaches the points and takes the direction they are set for, (clock wise?). Continuing on the loop and returning to the back of the turnout, it forces the points over and passes on through. The next time the train approaches the points same thing only counter clock wise. No need for a spring or any control. Would this be a “delayed self-directed train?