Large Scale Central

Aurora Australis / Borealis πŸŒ–

The KP index was 7.65 when I took these pictures with my phone at 0430 this morning. Not too bad for being as far north as we are.

It’s now 8.33 and reports are that much of the USA should be able to get a view tonight.

I’d recommend taking your phone even if it is faint, take a picture facing your closest pole after dark.

3 Likes

Took these from my backyard this past spring.

1 Like

Wow! Spectacular pics! We had a lot of light pollution in town. So we had to drive 30 minutes south of the city to get our photos in the National Park amongst a small mob of grey kangaroos noisily hopping about.

Nice shots!! We also had a great show early this evening in Southern NH.

Looks like you’re getting significantly better sky coverage too.

Last night was pretty cloudy here, but the aurora were still putting on a great show.

4 Likes

We took a ride a half mile down the road to the state park where there is a low horizon to the North. Viewing was good, but my camera settings were wrong and I didn’t get any publishable pics.

Jon,

We were quite surprised with iPhone night settings. Our pictures were hand held shots and the blur on the second photo was an aircraft. Next time we are going to take the real camera and do some Timelapse shots.

I was using an Android with the default Night mode settings. Exposures were not long enough. I have all the right equipment for long exposures; DSLR, tripod and remote shutter. I was just too lazy to get it all out at 10PM. I’m glad so many others got great shots that I can enjoy!