Large Scale Central

Attention all trestle builders!

I need a recommendation for (I believe it’s called a pin nailer) gun.
I want something small and perfect for building trestles. And wooden building sub-frames, etc.
Thanks,
jb

Home Depot has a neat compressor / brad nailer combo, for fairly short money. Im pondering picking it up.

John:

I own both 18ga pneumatic brad nailers and similar small staplers that I have used in LS construction projects. While they work ok, they are just a little too big for accurate small wood construction. The chisel point brads tend to follow the wood grain with disasterous results for the parts being nailed and, if I’m not real careful, my fingers. The heads are over scale and don’t look good on close inspection. I was looking for something better.

Earlier this year, I found a 23ga pneumatic headless pinner made by Grex Power Tools (Link). Then I saw a demonstration at the NGRRC in Santa Clara last July. The guy was building complex LS bridge assemblies using a dab of Titebond III (which is “waterproof”), then nailing the parts with the Grex pinner. He was just holding the parts with his fingers while shooting the headless pin. I would really be afraid to do that with the brad nails due to the possibility of getting the pin in my finger. The gentleman said he does this commercially and that the bridges and structrues stand up very well out doors. I bought a Grex Model No. P635 on the spot. It shoots pin lengths from 3/8" to 1 3/8" (10 to 35mm) long with no change to either the magazine or mechanism. It is a very well made tool.

I have been working on several structures, including a couple of trestles and some retaining walls. The pinner works great. The combination of nail size and shape, lack of a head and the ease of use are really a perfect match for this type of construction. The nails go where you aim them with very little tendency to go off course. The end of the pin showing at the surface looks very much like a scale sized nail. I have also used it to fasten some plastic structural members where I used expoy glue plus the pin with great results. This pinner works much better than any of the brad nailers I have seen or used.

It is available by web and mail order from several sources, including The Fastener Company (Link). Lots of information on this webpage: scroll WAY down. The Grex pinner is more expensive than the more common brad nailers, but in my opinion is really worth the price. In your words ". . . small and perfect for building trestles. And wooden building sub-frames, etc. . . "

Did I mention that I like it??

Happy (Well Nailed) RRing,

Jerry Bowers

They show quite a few here:
http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/catalog/Nailers_FinishBradPin_Nailers_23_Gauge_Pin_Nailers-p-1-c-590.html
Including the Grex.
I’m thinking of the Senco, but the Grex isn’t that much more.

Bob,
A brad gun is fine for bigger stuff, I think. But a Pin Nailer is what I want first. Then I’ll get a brad gun if the need arises.
jb

John:

The main differences I see between the Grex and the Senco are the accuracy of the placement of the nail and the wider range of pin length.

The Grex has a removable / replaceable plastic tip with guide lines in each axis. A spare tip is included, mounted on the pinner. My first one still looks new. I’ve found that the pin really comes out exactly where the lines are. My Senco brad nailer puts the brad where it wants to. My friend who runs a woodworking shop uses the 23ga Senco and says isn’t much better in his opinion. We haven’t had a chance to make a side by side comparison.

The Senco does something like 1/2" to 1" long pins. The Grex does 3/8" to 1 3/8". I’m using the Grex with 3/8" pins to fasten siding & flooring to framework, just as if it had been nailed. I really like that feature.

I also like the size and feel of the Grex. Can’t make a comparison, as my Sencos are for 18ga brads & staples.

Be sure to look for special package deals that include some pins. Some suppliers (including Nail Gun Depot and The Fastener Co.) will cut a deal on pins bought with the pinner. The Fastener Co. has a special for the Grex P/N 635 pinner that includes 10,000 pins (1000 in each of the nine lengths) and shipping. Looks like Nail Gun Depot only puts 2500 pins in their Grex package deals and none with their Senco units. It makes the Senco price look quite a bit cheaper until you add the pins and shipping.

You will probably need to get the 23ga pins from the web / mail order sites as I have not seen them in the home / hardware stores. The Fastener Company has the best best price on pins that I have found.

Just my findings and opinions: Your mileage may vary.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Just another opinion, here:

I love my Porter-Cable 23-gauge pin nailer, but it only accepts 1/2" to 1". If I had known about the Grex, I would have gotten one of those instead. 3/8 would be handy for 1/8 siding on 1/4 bracing, for instance. In general, I wouldn’t end up using pins longer than 1", though; as soon as I’m attaching anything 1/2" thick to anything 5/8" thick or greater, I just use the 18-gauge brads…they’re still plenty small, but stronger, and won’t pull out the way the headless pins can.

Has anyone had problems with headless pins falling or working out of their project??

Is the price difference between the Grex and the others worth it, though? It seems a huge difference for the ability to use longer pins (which we wont, for the most part, in our hobby)

Bob,
I use a Sears Craftsman that looks suspiciously like a Porter Cable and uses 1/2 to either 1 and a quarter or 1 3/8 inch pins. Its down in the basement now, I’ll take a look on my next trip to feed the sood stove.

SteveF