Large Scale Central

Arosto Stainless - Not quite indestructable!

Last week during a storm a limb came down from the huge maple that shadows much of my railroad. I only noticed a short piece; 3 foot by about an inch on the ground, but there was bark everywhere. I didn’t notice the damage until I ran trains today, then found one rail on the new engine house lead that had a sharp bend…

Looking around I finally noticed the culprit still on my neighbors lawn - about 8 feet long and 3 inches or so in diameter it shattered and bounced when it hit the ground. This track was firmly attached to PVC ladder roadbed. I was able to push cars across the bend but my locos derailed, so it needed to be fixed. The MOW crew was called and they lifted the track. When the ties were removed the full extent of the damage was evident…

A quick trip to the shop remedied the problem. The straight portion rail was clamped in a bench vise just before the bend, then a pipe was placed over the rail end and carefully bent back. Once that was close the entire bend was put in the vise between smooth jaws and the vise tightened with the pipe. This photo of both rails looks a little better…

The track was placed back on the roadbed, a test train run over it, then ballasted back in. Good as new, almost!

After a two hour delay for track repair, the morning train was able to finish it’s work.

Huzzah! :wink:

Trees are beautiful but create alot of work.

Here I have the same issue with deer. Each spring I have some broken ties, and occasionally a bent rail, because of then hoofed rats.

We have deer but they pretty much stay in the backyard and the RR is in the front. They ate all our Hosta in the back this year. More likely is a stumbling old man. Broken quite a few ties myself over the years.

Horses & cows can do some damage, too… when they get loose…

Is the farmer liable for damages caused by his escapees ?

Jon Radder said:

Is the farmer liable for damages caused by his escapees ?

Not a clue… Haven’t been that mean… I just help round them up… and try and keep them away from the railroad…

Roger that; good to keep friendly neighbors friendly.

Jon Radder said:

We have deer but they pretty much stay in the backyard and the RR is in the front. They ate all our Hosta in the back this year. More likely is a stumbling old man. Broken quite a few ties myself over the years.

Not me. I do stumble, but I am not old. And I don’t step on my track. The one spring I saw the hoof prints in the ballast right next to the broken ties. I know them hoofed rats been walking on my railroad.

In eight years in the woods in Delaware, I only had one very large limb come out of a big Beech tree and damage my stainless rails. Put a big crimp in one section.

I actually gently run my loaded wheel barrow over the rails, THere has never been any damage. Overall, now, about 11 years of stainless track I have no complaints about its durability.

The 1987 Hurricane here wrecked my second trestle mounted layout , heavy roof tiles really mess up brass track .

The salvaged track was straightened as much as possible and used for sidings only . Set in cement because a lot of the track chairs were useless , it made good as a drive-over siding .

I very nearly packed it up altogether , but I’m glad I didn’t .

Mike Brit

Mike,

Would you provide us pics and technique for drive-over siding in a separate topic??

Don , it’s just a matter of making the ground up to the level of the track tops so that wheeled vehicles can access rail wagons .

I didn’t mean driving my car over track , although someone on here has track set into his driveway , he posted a picture way back .

I think it was Ric Golding .

Anyway , it’s just a case of putting thin slats of wood to give the slots for the wheel flanges , I pull the wood out after the cement has gone off , but not completely dry .

Mike Brit