Large Scale Central

Aristocraft Trestles?

I have a bunch of Aristocraft trestles that I purchased for next to nothing from a local dealer, I have a section of my new railroad coming up where I might be able to use some of these.

Has anyone tried/installed any with any luck?

I know they are not the best looking, but they are certainly better then anything I could probably build on my own. I was also going to spray them with the UV clear matte spray so they don’t fade away to quickly outside (like most Aristo building do).

They seem like I could easily dress them up a bit more once they are installed to make them look a little more realistic.

Any thoughts?

Vincent, Spray them with a coat of chocolate brown, after washing them in dish soap. Then mix a bit of water and dirt to make a wash to brush on liberally. Let the wash set for a few minutes and then wipe off with a rag. This will leave the dirt in the recesses and give an aged look. When you are happy with what you’ve done ( you can wash this off over and over till you get what you want ) coat with a flat clear spray. It will take away the look of plastic.

Thanks for the info Dave.

I ended up painting them with a textured paint I found at Lowe’s.

They came out pretty decent, but then again, just about anything would look better then what they were!

Hopefully I will get to install some of them this Sunday, if I do I will post a pic of them.