Large Scale Central

Aristocraft Rail Bender

Has anyone used the Aristocraft ART-11920 Rail Bender? I see that it bends only one rail at a time were if I understand correctly some bend both rails at the same time. At less than $100 vs $250 for the others is this bender worth considering?

Jim

I have one that I’ll sell you. :wink:

If you have more time than money the single rail bender works fine. I’ll never go back to single rail bending.

• Brian

I have one too. It’s tedious because you can’t easily repeat the same bend twice, but it works. I’ve never tried a two-rail bender so I don’t know what I’m missing :smiley:

I own a 2 rail bender.
Would never go back to the single.
It’s worth the extra dough, IMHO.
You can adjust your track while it is still in place without even removing clamps or anything.

I just can hardly wait to have YOU use it on MY track John lol

Isn’t Aristo supposed to be coming out with a double track bender similar to Train-Li’s?

Let me answer my own question. It will be the 11921 Dual Rail Bender, MSRP of $225 and a street price of around $160. If you buy 4 boxes of 12 brass flex track, you will get one free. There was a rumor going 'round that aluminum track would be included in that, but according to Lewis on 12/10/2008, NO JOY. Scroll down to post number 7

Bummer, I was counting on that.

Steve Featherkile said:
Isn't Aristo supposed to be coming out with a double track bender similar to Train-Li's?

Let me answer my own question. It will be the 11921 Dual Rail Bender, MSRP of $225 and a street price of around $160. If you buy 4 boxes of 12 brass flex track, you will get one free. There was a rumor going 'round that aluminum track would be included in that, but according to Lewis on 12/10/2008, NO JOY.

Was that price before or after this year’s price increases? :wink:
Their railbender looks good. A direct knock off of the Train-Li with a better handle. The Train-Li one is selling for close to $300 now. I got mine for around $250. I would expect those prices to drop with new competition.

-Brian

Anyway, dual rail bending is pretty sweet -

(http://www.wvmgrs.org/Images/2008/TrackClass/image9_small.jpg)

(http://www.wvmgrs.org/Images/2008/TrackClass/image12_small.jpg)

-Brian

Aristo is making a new dual rail bender, it is very similar to the very popular Train-Li one. I don’t think it’s available yet, but it will be less expensive than the Train-Li.

Being able to bend the rails while in the ties is a huge advantage.

Regards, Greg

Greg Elmassian said:
Aristo is making a new dual rail bender, it is very similar to the very popular Train-Li one. I don't think it's available yet, but it will be less expensive than the Train-Li.

Being able to bend the rails while in the ties is a huge advantage.

Regards, Greg

I think that’s been pretty well covered above. :wink:

-Brian

Whoops, somehow missed that post… nevermind…

Greg

Ask the question & get the answer, life is good. Thanks so much for all of the replies, no question which way to go.

Jim

Jim Schneider said:
Ask the question & get the answer, life is good. Thanks so much for all of the replies, no question which way to go.

Jim

If you want to really save money you can make one. Graden railway had a homade railbender. It is not as easy as these high tech ones but a lot less $. It just shocks me when I see what a railbender cost especialy when you consider it is a one time use. For $200 I can get almost two boxes of 4.5ft track thats over 100ft of expansion. I would rather spend the extra time bending with a homemade bender then spend all that $ Thats just me.

“Thats just me.”

Shawn, what a great statement. And you are absolutely right. The “My railroad, my rules” theory always applies. Do what works for you and it really can’t be wrong.

The same statement can be said for the person that wants to hand lay track. Do what you like. Like what you do.

anyone have the plans for the GR bender they could email, copy or point me to?

Thanks

ANdre`

Dear All,

Build your own rail bender
Garden Railways, July/August 1986 page 24
( BENDER, “MARTIN, BROOKS”, RAIL, G, GDN )

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik

Andrè Schofield said:
anyone have the plans for the GR bender they could email, copy or point me to?

Thanks

ANdre`

Also June 2002 send me an e-mail

An economical rail bender
Garden Railways, June/July 2002 page 86
Built from hardware-store parts
( “CANNON, LARRY”, RAIL, TECHNIQUE, TOOL, GDN )

It’s hard to beat the train li bender. Bends both rails to the same curve with the track in place. They are expensive. I was able to use the bender to turn a bunch of unused and useless LGB R1 curves into straights for a freight siding, and into a number of different curves in other places. in that way the bender paid for itself. But it was a hard thing to buy

The aristo looks to be a knock-off of the train li. Haven’t seen one yet

Please Please place a drawing of the railbender that was in Garden Rail issue June 2002 or send me an Email at [email protected] so I can make one

Thanks    Brent