Large Scale Central

Aristocraft DASH 9 (Latest version)

Well I know it is an older well known release but it’s new to me!

I fear I have that same feeling when I got my first K-27, and immediately sold off half of my LGB to buy more 1:20.3…This is one impressive piece of hardware!

My initial observations found a smooth running well assembled loco. The packaging was first rate assuring the engine arrived in perfect condition. Graphics are the clearest I have seen to date. A few quick passes around the layout shows it will handle 8 and 9 foot diameter curves without a hitch…Including backing maneuvers through switches (R3). It completely ignores grades that slow my 1:20.3 steamers and LGB diesels.

There are a few cons…The drives do have a slight “growl” sound, not as much as my USA GP-30 but not nearly as quiet as my RS-3 or LGB’s. Perhaps the biggest downer is I have absolutely no modern stock to pull behind it! I may actually unload an unused Bachmann Forney to pick something up!

I have never really had a desire to own any intermodal equipment, don’t really like them…But this engine is just screaming for them! I have to decide on intermodal or some Bethgon coalporters.

This could put me back in the 1:29 camp quick!

Did you put in the extra weights?

Loving mine so far too. Wish the details were made of a sturdier or more flexible material. Keep some light oil on the axleends to help the ball brg pickup last longer.

Joe, there were no extra weights sent with it. One of the write-ups I read stated the newer version came with newer weights already installed. True or not, I do not know.

I’m going to have to find something other than SOO-LINE to run behind it but at the moment it is the only rolling stock I have equipped with Aristo couplers.

Mark

you said The drives do have a slight “growl” sound, well you may want to flip it over
and pull the covers off the motors to make sure there is enough grease, my new sd45
hardly had any.

Richard

Richard,

Yep, always a good idea. I usually lube all my new stock but I also can’t help myself but to throw 'em on the rails for a few laps!

I’ll check out the gears when I install the little detail parts tonight.

:slight_smile:

Edit: Apparently a few runs around the pike distributed the grease…Quieted up considerably. Now I need to find that ‘Heritage 1’ to go with it.

The gearboxes are sealed… you cannot add grease without drilling an access hole or completely disassembling the entire truck and each gearbox.

The growling can often be cured… look on my web site about the prime mover.

Greg

On the other hand, it should come as no surprise that a 20 pound model with a huge space-y carbody as an amplifier, four motors and more gears than a thing with LOT of gears, plus metal wheels, should make a little growly sound.

I have five each SD45 and Dash 9, and they all growl to some extent, even those with sound systems in [in the background], as a couple of my YouTube vids clearly show.

Does it bother me?

Not a lot.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Some of them are REALLY loud… easy to fix in most cases

Here’s my second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3hddXiGPc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUibxZM9pcZwOpkZrcdHggpg

I added sound, control, and electro couplers for use on my RR.

Joe what did you use for electro couplers?

they’re from MTH

here’s the op engine with stock couplers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhFzyUS7zyU

and a smoke upgrade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1hGRKmv64

Luv those Dash 9’s with USA Trains motor blocks.

As far as I am concerned, the Aristo-Craft Dash 9’s are okay engines. While I like USA Trains SD70Macs as well, I do prefer them both for various reasons. One is details. Like chains on the trucks of the USA engine for example. A nice touch. I think the Dash 9 can pull better in a lash up, but the USA Trains SD70 in its lash up looks incredibly realistic. The central issue to all these engines is the fact that they are mass produced in a country that might not always concern themselves with quality assurance issues.

Overall though, the new Aristo Dash 9’s are pretty first rate and if anyone has a BNSF they would swap me for my Canadian Nat Dash 9, I would not be too hurt by that transaction…LOL

Stacy