Large Scale Central

Aristo track price increase

Allen Williams said:

America deserves to have the jobs back in America and not in third world countries. If these American companies can’t compete in the global economy without manufacturing their American products overseas, then they should not be able to hold themselves out as American companies at all…and that includes Walmart!

Allen,

To do that you would have to roll back all kinds of legislation which would then require companies to adhere to a certain code of conduct. Fat chance of that as long as the fat cats in industry have the fat cats in all the different legislatures in their pockets (that’s called lobbying!).

Besides most of those “American” companies are really multinationals, which for as long as I can remember meant shifting your headquarters to whichever jurisdiction offers the best advantages and all the others are subsidiaries which are subject to any kind of manipulation the host country lets them get away with, from selling high and buying low inside the conglomerate to shifting dividends and whatever else needs shifting at the most opportune time at the most advantageous rate possible. Whenever possible and if necessary to a jurisdiction that has very lenient tax laws with the maximum write-offs prior to minimal if any taxes falling due.

BTW if you are so hot to trot on the “Buy American”, I hope all of your nestegg is invested in companies that you have vetted to adhere to those rigorous standards. Takes a lot of work, those guys are hard to find! And you won’t be caught dead with goods that are not “Made in USA”, right!?! Sure limits the selection in every conceivable aspect of life!

HJ
I do my best to buy American and do not invest my meager retirement in foreign companies posing as American companies. Thank you for bring that point up! If you are thinking that if I have bought Aristo Track I’m already at fault with my ideals…don’t be too hasty! I’ve not bought anything yet! Thank you for your comment though. I’m too old and too darn upset with everything these days to argue the point any further. Cheers!

HJ,
there is no use trying to talk sense to someone with limited exposure to the reality of global economics. My uncle came back from WW2 declaring that he would never purchase a German made item. It was not many years before he was driving a Volkswagen and modelling Marklin ‘h.o.’ three-rail model railroads. If you want quality then sometimes you have to eat humble pie.

JP Morgan is an American company and it does produce a majority of the model railroad items that we use today - Made in China.  The simple reality is that the consumer wants the best quality for the cheapest price and the shareholder wants the best dividend paid on his shares.

I have no idea what American steel refinery and lumber ships are doing off the coast unless they are picking up steel and timber from Asia (the current top supplier of such products in the world).  Walmart made its name from selling cheap goods.  If they were made in China or woop woop,  then the consumer really does not care, as long as it is cheap.  The Asians were buying up scrap steel from Australia since the late 40's to supply the world greed for raw steel.  We even had a prime minister who was renowned for selling off 'scrap' warships to Asia, in the 50's and 60's.  His nickname was 'pig iron Bob'.
Allen Williams said:
HJ I do my best to buy American and do not invest my meager retirement in foreign companies posing as American companies. Thank you for bring that point up! If you are thinking that if I have bought Aristo Track I'm already at fault with my ideals....don't be too hasty! I've not bought anything yet! Thank you for your comment though. I'm too old and too darn upset with everything these days to argue the point any further. Cheers!
Allen,

What you buy or don’t buy is strictly your choice. There are certain things in this house that will not be bought from a certain source as long as there’s an alternative, even if it is a bit more expensive.
But I won’t proclaim that I will not buy this or that. Hell no, look at how much LGB I bought even though I thought the previous owners were out to lunch, I just bought very carefully and most of the time on the secondhand market.

Apart from getting a good deal it also served as insurance; when the RBB would get unruly and personal I could post the pictures of all the empty Red Boxes. :wink: :slight_smile:

Tim Brien said:
SNIP The Asians were buying up scrap steel from Australia since the late 40's to supply the world greed for raw steel. We even had a prime minister who was renowned for selling off 'scrap' warships to Asia, in the 50's and 60's. His nickname was 'pig iron Bob'.
Actually Tim, "Pig Iron Bob" Menzies got that moniker BEFORE WW2 when he authorised the sale of scrap metal to the Japanese.