Large Scale Central

Aristo SS Track and Switches

OK we all know the end is near. I have used exclusively Aristo SS track and switches to build the NMNRR. I just bought 4 wide R & L switches that I think will finnish what I will need to complete the pike.

If i’m wrong, other then E-Bay, for what I’m sure will be gouge prices by then, What do you see as long term options?

Does anyone have any reason to believe that some other manufacture would pick-up or buy the rights to make their line of SS track products? Has the market shrunk to the point that there is no reasonable expectations of demand, that we will never see SS rail produced again?

Your thoughts. Please Keep only to the topic please!

I use brass (mainly cause it is cheaper) but a have a couple stainless pieces. Looking around, 10’ switches were only made by Aristo and other brands cost more than Aristo. I am hoping Bachmann will expand their track offering to fill the switch gap. My only expansion plans at the moment are to finish the storage tracks. Only I get them long enough for the locomotives to fit and have power, the rest may just be wood or styrene track.

Accucraft stainless is expecter to be released in November. Likely it will be awhile before they have a complete stainless track line.

Stan

Dave,
Don’t know if anyone is making stainless switches, or track.

Switchcrafters and Train-Li both have Nickel Silver.
Ralph

H&R trains in Florida carries stainless track.
I am not sure of availability,
I have some train-li nickel silver and have been happy with it so far.

Ralph Berg said:

Dave,
Don’t know if anyone is making stainless switches, or track.

Switchcrafters and Train-Li both have Nickel Silver.
Ralph

Train-Li Switzerland has SS turnouts, check with Train-Li USA for availability and price — it won’t be cheap!

Revalda (also Switzerland) has R3 and R7(?) turnouts

http://www.revalda.com/en/assortment.aspx

in C332 SS R3 turnouts are 75€ according to their website. The R7s are not listed, check if they actual make them or if they’re still just “planned”.

I’d keep my eyes open for the Aristo turnouts. No one else makes a ten foot diameter turnout, nor is likely to in the short term.

Watch ebay.

Greg

Gee; I wonder if the SS track and switches I have squirreled away will continue to rise in value. I bought them long before the big price increase so even at fire sale prices they are worth more than I paid. Not looking to sell though - I will eventually use it.

Found on the 'Bay.

Aristo Left hand Wide Radius SS Switch

and

Aristo Wide Radius Right hand SS switch

One of each for $74.50 USD. Dunno if that is a good price or not.

Thanks For looking Steve, The ones that I just ordered from RLD Hobbies are only $53 each.

Already about 50% higher then you can buy them retail. Man what are they gonna ask in a year or so?

Just wait for the “Super Rare…” ads on ebay.

…to quote some people from the past…“We don’t use switches; they cause too much trouble”…of course this came from a number of different people…who saw a model railroad strictly as animation in their gardens…not as a long standing hobby that grows over the years with the owner.

After doing a fair bit of telephoning, and contacting people that at one time had one of those “Beautiful Garden Railroads” featured in videos, magazines, and other newsletters…it was a passing fad…like an awful lot of those that pass through all of the hobbies; they have moved along…I’m just surprised that there isn’t a heck of a lot of used stuff out in the market…or is it all being thrust out at high prices on Evilbay, for the suckers to grab…I wouldn’t know…I have never found a need to use Evilbay, or “Payforitpal”

Just an observation…

BTW…$53 for a WR switch was a fair price at one time, and $75, or so was the msl price, not long ago…

Wide Right (WR) - Would that be a Scott Norwood switch?

[a few here will get the reference]

Jon Radder said:

Probably very few. :wink:

Only 4 appearances!

Bruce Chandler said:

Jon Radder said:

Probably very few. :wink:

Only 4 appearances!

Very obscure.

:slight_smile:

I can see folks making a few bucks over regular price but when the gouging starts you will never see me buying, I’ll just do without. Later RJD

Dave,

I’ve ordered (and are being shipped) a couple from both RLD and Aristo. The RLD ones were priced like you said but I just ordered a wide SS switch from Aristo for $36. Couldn’t pass it up so they’re headed to Albuquerque. Not sure what I’ll do with them. Also getting some FA motor blocks from RLD too. Mine are from the early 1990’s, although they sat in the garage for awhile. I plan to convert a heavy weight to a Doodlebug with one of them.

Jim

Jim, Did you find them on the net site? The last two times I checked there was no listing for the SS wide switches. Where did you find them? If you, in fact get them, I’ll drive down and stop by some day and give you a profit, if you really don’t have a need for them.

Dave,

I just checked. They on the webpage under track, US style, page two about half way down…and in stock. My order changed today to “in process”, also. Have you checked RLD too? Only one (got plans) of what I ordered is really a spare and since I have all wide switches I want to hold on to it. I am just glad to see those FA motor blocks.

I couldn’t order anything on the webpage using my IE brouser and then had to add Chrome for a work project and it goes right through. Their webpage is like that sometimes.

Jim