Large Scale Central

Aristo Slo-Mo Switch Machines

A promo from AristoCraft arrived late today - pretty spectacular from my POV, & wonder what you think.

Large Rad switches in SS for 39.99 and slo mo sw machines 10.99.

I’m not connected with the company in any way… I would like them to survive, tho - ;>)

I’m posting here to ask, do any of you guys have any experience with these slo mo sw machines? indoors? out?

http://www.aristocraft.com/ART11298-SWITCH-MACHINE-REM-SLOW-MOTION_p_405.html

Wottya think of 'em? Thanks!

John,

Just to clarify, I have no experience with these switches.
I did however use slow motion switch machines when I was working in ON3.

But. I always wondered what the point was of a slow motion switch machine.
I understand the objection to the “snap” switches that sound like a pencil breaking.
but slow motion doesn’t really make any sense.

I have never seen on film or in live action a brakeman, etc. throwing a switch machine
handle in ----- really-----slow------motion----and----the----points----slowly------closing----.

Just a thought :slight_smile: :wink:

Rick

John:

Thanks for the information & links, but . . .

I don’t see that the switches are ‘large radius.’ They are shown with other 2’ radius stuff, so I would assume the are also very small radius. And, typical of much of Aristocraft’s current listings, the $39.99 switches show “Out of Stock.”

It doesn’t matter if they are only a dollar each: If they don’t have them, they are overpriced! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry -

I found the Wide R and Wide L listed at the $39.99 price and in-stock. This is very tempting.

http://www.aristocraft.com/ART20370-SS-SWITCH-WIDE-MANUAL-RIGHT-US_p_448.html

Jon Radder said:
Jerry -

I found the Wide R and Wide L listed at the $39.99 price and in-stock. This is very tempting.

Wow,
That is tempting. But I have to do some fund raising first :wink:
I’d really like to pick up at least 4 of these.
Ralph

Yeah, It’s clear that they have these in stock and that they want to sell them el cheapo for some reason. Here are the links that came in the memo:
http://www.aristocraft.com/ART20380-SS-SWITCH-WIDE-MANUAL-LEFT-USA_p_449.html
… and the one above again for the Slo Mo sw machine:
http://www.aristocraft.com/ART11298-SWI … p_405.html

I find all this AWFULLY tempting… I’ve never seen this stuff anywhere near as cheap as this…

The memo states this deal is only for online sales… nothing new there…

Why move 'em slowly? Because of them damn point rails and tiebars being all iced over as usual, and rusted over too, dammit!.. Just listen to the blamed things scraping and scratching and scrawtching over. Some grease here and there wouldn’t hurt a bit… Dammit I’m tired… when’s quitting time? …

Actually, I think, Rick, that many of us model railroaders like the slow motion machines because, let’s face it, we’re animation junkies - we like to watch the movement of our miniature mechanical marvels. The more and the slower and the more fascinating the movement the better: the more we can see, the longer we can watch, and the bigger and more satisfying our fix.

That’s why steam engines make WAY MORE BETTER TRAINS than diseasels. More motion in those siderods and valve gears - it all makes for a way better visual fix… My 2cents. Har har!!!

The slow motion machines are probably meant to represent those auto switches operated by signaltower as opposed to hand operated by a brakeman?

Must admit, slow motion operation of these always fascinates and nothing better than watching complicated valve gear operating!.

Ross Mansell said:
The slow motion machines are probably meant to represent those auto switches operated by signaltower as opposed to hand operated by a brakeman?
Well, now, there's a sensible notion... I'd never have considered it! :)

That’s what they’re for, remote control of interlockings and such. BTW in certain territories along the CPR, like the Mountain Sub between Field and Revelstoke, all those switches are heated. The closest - 30m off the highway - to the TCH is the crossover interlocking at Ross Peak just west of the Macdonald tunnel. Lots of signals, lots of switches, plenty of heating and comm cabins etc. It even has a siding on the highway side (BO and other junk) so you don’t get tempted to walk across the tracks.

And if you ever watched a train crew do their switching you will know that throwing a manual turnout is far from a “snap”!

PS while you’re at it, read Greg Elmassian’s write-up comparing the Böhler drive with the Aristo clone. Cheap isn’t the same as less expensive! Of course this is, as always, strictly my opinion!

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
That's what they're for, remote control of interlockings and such. BTW in certain territories along the CPR, like the Mountain Sub between Field and Revelstoke, all those switches are heated. The closest - 30m off the highway - to the TCH is the crossover interlocking at Ross Peak just west of the Macdonald tunnel. Lots of signals, lots of switches, plenty of heating and comm cabins etc. It even has a siding on the highway side (BO and other junk) so you don't get tempted to walk across the tracks.

And if you ever watched a train crew do their switching you will know that throwing a manual turnout is far from a “snap”!

PS while you’re at it, read Greg Elmassian’s write-up comparing the Böhler drive with the Aristo clone. Cheap isn’t the same as less expensive! Of course this is, as always, strictly my opinion!

HJ,

The funny thing about this is they blatantly copied some one elses product, and even with having a working original they couldnt get there’s to work properly

We saw one in action last year and like a alot of Aristo’s stuff it went up in smoke. I think the O gauge tortsie machine would be a better product to use.

You gotta luv that.

Small scale (H0) slow motion switch machines were originally developed to overcome the problem of ‘snap’ style solenoid switch machines putting enough hammer force on the stock rails to loosen spikes and cause out of gauge problems at turnouts. I spent lots of time in the 1960s replacing and/or adding spikes, along with reinforcing stock rails on our hand laid club trackage.

Even the slow motion machines could put too much force on the stock rails. This caused our club to develop a slow motion switch machine with current limiting to control the ultimate force applied.

If this sounds like rocket ship technology, it was! The subject model RR club was at the Lockheed Missile & Space Company. They didn’t invent the slow motion idea, but were very early adopters.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

I bought a few of each of these sale items. I’ve been waiting for aluminum switches to come back as they are typically cheaper but this is the same or less price than the last switches I bought in aluminum. My RR is all battery power.

As to the switch machines; I bought Aristo slo-mo machines first, they worked but after reading Greg’s writeup, noted above, I bought 3 of the Böhler ones. My RR is all elevated but lives above a salt mangrove in FL with lots of rain and beating sun. I installed all 3 and kept 2 of the Aristo ones out there (I’ve expanded since then). After a month all the Böhler switch motors corroded internally and stopped working. The Aristo machines in the exact same conditions with no modifications all continue to work to this day (~1.5 years later).

I fully expected the Böhler switch machines to work better and last longer. They are better constructed to keep out the weather and are WAY tougher internally, but for $10.99 and 1.5 years more life (so far) I’m sticking with the Aristos. I am at a loss to explain what happened but it is what it is. This is my empirical data, your mileage may vary.

russ

Thanks Russ.

Russ McIntire said:
I fully expected the Böhler switch machines to work better and last longer. They are better constructed to keep out the weather and are WAY tougher internally, but for $10.99 and 1.5 years more life (so far) I'm sticking with the Aristos. I am at a loss to explain what happened but it is what it is. This is my empirical data, your mileage may vary.

russ

I don’t believe the Böhler motors were intended for a corrosive saltwater environment, but they work perfectly in the semi-arid Okanagan Valley. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW there was some doubt if that type of switch motor would still be available after Böhler folded their tent. Yes, it is still being made by Kaleas just like the MiniTools.

Interesting feedback on the Bohler ones… what corroded in them? After all the ballyhoo about the better construction, which sure seemed to be supported visually, this is a surprise…

I’ll update my site… maybe this is why Train-Li does not carry them any more…

Greg

Greg,

Interesting … the ex-Böhler drive is still listed on their website, albeit at a higher price than what I remember.

Yep, there it is, I was told they no longer sold it, but maybe this is a bit tongue in cheek, i.e. it’s under a new name? But I thought they always brought it to the “master line”…

Greg