Large Scale Central

Aristo Craft's PRR Bobber Caboose.

I thought I would share my thoughts about this little fellow. I know many in here have Bobber Cabooses they run on their layouts. Some detail them to the point whereby, one cannot discern between the real McCoy or the scaled down version.

My version has actually been around for a time now. With no interior or interior lighting, she is pretty basic as far as the guts are concerned. However, the exterior is quite nice. Done in the PRR livery of dark brown and black with all the appropriate markings and placards, she looks pretty darn nice either setting on a siding or being pulled by your favorite steamer.

I have two now. Both have the same road numbers. Which is okay by me. The wheels are plastic, but their is a spring located on each wheel for some suspension. I nice touch.

Their are various grab irons and braces and brackets that give the little caboose its distinctive look. I must confess something though. At one time I disliked Bobber Cabooses. Please do not ask me why. I have no idea, but I have since changed my mind and come full circle. Heck, I hated lima beans when I was a kid. Now I cannot eat enough of the darn things. LOL

Anyway, there is really not much to the caboose and it has huge amounts of room for additional detailing and modeling.

I paid about 30 bucks for mine and the other one was part of a set which included the A5 0-4-0 locomotive and slope back tender. Aristo Craft did a nice job on these cabooses and no matter what livery it is in, they are just plain cool to look at. Even when setting still.

Windows are clear plastic and aside from screws, the whole caboose is plastic with, as I mentioned above, many details.

Stacy, I had one. After putting metal wheels on her and KaDee couplers I discovered that she tended to be top heavy. I guess my experience is unique, but I couldn’t reliably keep her on the tracks. One day the train came into the lower reverse loop with the bobber actually being drug along in its side. How it rolled over, but still managed to stay coupled amazed me. Well when the train crossed the trestle, she fell off onto the ground. I picked her up, took her into the shop, and turned her into a night light. And so ended the career of the only Aristo bobber on the P&CS RR

They do seem to make good nite lites:

http://railroadcatalog.com/household-accessories/train-table-night-lighting/55061-pennsylvania-caboose-night-light

Looks good, Alan. Kind of a transfer caboose.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Last one I had (more common ATSF version) sold on Fleabay for only $12 and I felt relieved I got that much, there are waaaay too many of these on the market today, they’ve been in production for about 20 years but now only fit a few modelers needs.

I like Alan’s transfer caboose version, that’s a great way to update this old bobber to something that would look at home on a modern layout.

Thanks Tac and Vic. The flat was originally a Bachmann tank car. The tanks, as you will know, are a wee bit dated for the 1950’s era and didn’t look well with my 1:29 stock.

David Maynard said:

Stacy, I had one. After putting metal wheels on her and KaDee couplers I discovered that she tended to be top heavy. I guess my experience is unique, but I couldn’t reliably keep her on the tracks. One day the train came into the lower reverse loop with the bobber actually being drug along in its side. How it rolled over, but still managed to stay coupled amazed me. Well when the train crossed the trestle, she fell off onto the ground. I picked her up, took her into the shop, and turned her into a night light. And so ended the career of the only Aristo bobber on the P&CS RR

LOL That’s funny David. Hey, at least you have a classy night light. Ha!

I agree, that transfer caboose is totally cool and yes, it would look right at home on a more modern setting.

Poor little bobber caboose, no one seems to like you any more…Ha!

Hey, I love the things.

I have a Bachmann one that is going on a flat car. I also want to redo the cupola.

I like the Aristo Craft Bobbers better. Even though they do not have interiors, (one could easily craft one with working lights and smoke), I like the way they look. The Bachmann Bobbers are a little less and using them for creating a whole new car is a good idea.

Interesting that I recently sold my LGB Rio Grande caboose. This had a real nice look, but no lighting.

Anyway, I am partial to the Bay Window cabooses that the UP and other lines used. Really cool looking.