Large Scale Central

Aristo AL track is

Quote:
. . . . .

ALUMINUM TRACK IS ON THE WATER

Dear All,

We will be receiving our first shipment of Aluminum switches and crossings as well as a selection of straights and curves. The prices make track affordable after copper became the new gold. Yes, the conductivity is not as good, but it’s not bad. It’s strength is good and for battery operation or live steam it’s an ideal solution.

Aristo-Craft has used the best Aluminum grade we could find for this use and of course it matches with our regular track line in physical size. The color is more realistic than the gold color of brass and these are the same ties with the lifetime guarantee.

We tried this material in the past and had no quality issues, but the price was not competitive with brass, but with brass continuing its climb the stainless option is becoming a great way to bring new people into the hobby. We have committed to the Aluminum line and will maintain inventories as we do for the brass and stainless lines.

We even have 8’ rail in stock for those that want to bend there own curves as well as having 6’ flex track in stock with rail clamps attached.

Your customers will be asking for this time proven material. By the way, LGB at (trademark of Marklin) first produced their track in Aluminum and changed to brass later.

All the best,

Lewis Polk

Nice addition to the mix. Not sure if I understand what he means by Stainless Option a great way to bring others into the hobby…surely he meant to write AL…wonder if he’s looking to hire a proofreader??

cale

“Smoke Trout Not Crack”

I’ve been waiting for the aluminum track from Aristo. I need a few boxes to complete my second line.

I wonder why a man who sells aluminum track would make a false statement about the conductivity of aluminum.
“Yes, the conductivity is not as good, but it’s not bad”

Aluminum is a better electrical conductor than brass or stainless steel.
Ralph

Hi Ralph.
Aluminium is certainly a better conductor through the body of the rail.
It is problematic as to how good a conductor the surface of the aluminium rail is to the wheels of the locos.
When aluminium is exposed to the atmosphere it forms a protective layer that prevents corrosion. When clean, alumium is claimed by many to be just as good as brass or stainless steel conducting voltage to the wheels.
BTW. You should only use stainless steel connectors between rail lengths.

Tony, Years ago Piper Aircraft thought this to be true along with the weight savings. I believe all have been re-fitted with copper wire by now. make one happy they went with Beechcraft and Cessna.

I always thought that AL track was primarily intended for use by R/C guys?

…and Live Steam.
I do know of a couple of track powered layouts successfully using aluminium track.

I use aluminum rail with track power.
I can put a meter anywhere on my track and get 25volts. I use 1 foot sectional track.
The aluminum oxidation wipes off easily. Wish I could say the same for the brass rail I use.

The problem with using aluminum for wiring, is it expands and contracts with temperature more than copper.
Since I free float my track, this isn’t a problem. I also use the Aristo track which has screws for the rail joiners. It expands and contracts as a single unit.
Slip joiners would likely cause problems.
Ralph