Large Scale Central

Arist-Craft GP40 light question

I have a new Grand Trunk Western but stored for a few years GP40 that I’m getting ready to sell. Runs perfect and has the updated motors. But I have a question. The class lights only light red to the rear. No green to the front. Is this correct for the Aristo-Craft GP40? Green to the front would actually be incorrect anyway. Hopefully someone has the answer. If anybody is interested in this loco let me know. Otherwise it will be going to Ebay.

Paul,

As far as I know the Aristo-Craft engines only had red in the class light lenses and would as you described come on in the rear red when going forward. Good looking engine, I’d be interested in it. Could you send me a private message?

Thanks TJ,
Kind of what I thought but I didn’t have a way to verify it. My other two GP40’s were converted to white class lights with their own on off function. I will PM you.

TJ,
I have sent a PM.

Paul;
When railroads used the old dispatching systems, and had operators located in stations along the line for communicating with train crews; those “Classification Lights” were very important. They are seldom if ever used today, except for RED when a locomotive is running in reverse, or is a pusher on the tail end of a train.
Originally, the class lights most used were White, and Green.
When “Carrying” Green, it meant that a second section of the train was following.
" White" meant that the train was an extra train, not shown on a timetable.

You are correct in making your Class lights show WHITE, and are controlled separately. But...they should only be shown on the leading end of the locomotive....same with the Green.

The Red should also only be shown on the rear end if the locomotive is being used on the tail end of a train.
Most people are not knowledgeable, or don’t care about operating rules, and manufacturers are only interested in lots of lights, smoke, and noise…it attracts the “Toy Trainers” in us…who are attracted to such things, and it sells trains, out in the market place.
The same goes for “Ditch Lights” which are now on all main line locomotives.
They most often are required on both ends of a locomotive, as locomotives often are run in either direction, but the lights are only turned on at the leading end.
Sometimes, the lights will be on, no-mater what position the locomotive is running in…someone forgot to turn them on…!!..or off.
I hope this helps.
Fred Mills

Fred,
Thanks for your post. It has always been a pet peeve of mine about the way model manufacturers have treated classification lights and marker lights. I would add one thing. If the class lights were off it meant it was a regular scheduled train. I was only questioning the lights on my Aristo GP40 if they were all working or not before I sell it.

Yes, Paul…I forgot to mention that. No class lights, would mean a regular scheduled train.
You would also be a bit peeved by the lack of understanding, by even the manufacturers; the difference between “Marker Lights” and Classification lights…
In effect, if a Diesel Electric locomotive is running as a pusher on the end of a train; it’s Class lights would be considered/used as “Marker Lights”, and would then be showing RED…“Bringing up the rear”.
ALSO…the rules also stated, way back when; that it was “Flags by day”, and “Lights by night”…in the case of Class lights.

For those wanting to operate in a somewhat prototypical manner, and don’t want to bother fixing lights to work properly, and of course do their running during daylight hours…It is far easier to make up miniature flags, than to rewire lights…!!!

I fear that my small offering of prototype operations, will fall mostly on deaf ears…few give a durn, and are content with all the lights, bells and as much noise as possible…
As long as everyone is having fun…that’s what counts.
Fred Mills

I suppose it’s all a matter of what year you are modeling or mimicking.

What are marker and classification lights ?

I understand ditch lites even if the engineer forgets to turn them off.

Rooster,
I think you may have detailed some on that Lionel Santa Fe GP9 you finished last year.

Actually Paul it was a USA trains GP9 and it was sacrificial for the F40 build.
:wink:

Hey Rooster. Maybe the following was a different Rooster. You must have forgotten you knew so much! Feb, 2019

Rooster

Feb '19

Paul Burch said:

The GP40 I’m working on is a Santa Fe. Only one they had. They got it third hand in, I think 1985 and wrecked it in 1988. The photos I have still show the class lights. They were not plated over. Whether they used them or not is another question. I will because its my loco and I want to.

Paul,

You asked a very valid question. I replied from my own knowledge that is in my head . I refreshed my knowledge and found this …Locomotive classification lights | Trains Magazine

Which does not answer your question as stated. Honestly though the white extra lights would only be lit on the front of lead of the locomotive IMO.

Just refreshing hoping that Rooster will see my last post. :grinning: