Large Scale Central

Anyone tired of non working Glad Hands?

Aaron Loyet said:

I seen it Ric, Your wish is my command-here is an overall shot of a pair of bunks

(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s414/trainbuffjr1/hergetlogbunks004_zps6f4fd437.jpg)

here is a view from the top showing the hangers

(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s414/trainbuffjr1/hergetlogbunks001_zpsf8f38e5d.jpg)

here is a bottom view showing the brakes released

(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s414/trainbuffjr1/hergetlogbunks002_zps024a33a9.jpg)

and with a turn of the brake wheel

(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s414/trainbuffjr1/hergetlogbunks003_zps1f2dc779.jpg)

I think that there are a couple of rivets missing. :slight_smile:

Nice modeling, though.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8594726543_03b8d81cf4_c.jpg)

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8595827876_da1e85600a_c.jpg)

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8594729237_f72f1209b0_c.jpg)

ProtoHands on 1:20.3 Accucraft rolling stock (top 3 photos)

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8377/8595619390_6454c53a2c_c.jpg)

ProtoHands on 1:20.3 EBT rolling stock with 3/4 size couplers

Ric Golding said:

Craig Townsend said:

Bruce and Jon,

That confirms to me why I’m staying away from them for now. Maybe someday we’ll see working brakes in large scale (not ride on, they already have them) then I’ll be interested.

You won’t have to fake the exhaust noise either! :slight_smile:

I hope Aaron Loyet sees this post and can show some pictures of Larry Herget’s lumber bunks or boogies with working brakes. I got to see them at our Gateway Garden Railroad Club Winter Meet and they are fantastic.

I guess I should have clarified, I meant working pneumatic brakes :slight_smile: Cool to see a brake wheel functioning as intended! :slight_smile:

Hi Guys, I will try to answer a few questions

I developed the ProtoHandsTM for those that care about scale fidelity. I wanted a fine scale gladhand that looked prototypical connected or disconnected.

The ProtoHands hands are Nickel-silver for durability and appearance. They have all of the prototypical features that keep the hoses connected and in-line. When viewed from above, the hoses connect in a graceful S curve and do not droop at the connection point. Just like the real thing, the ProtoHands have stop pins that engage the ears on the end of the gladhand. This prevents the hoses from sagging. The ProtoHands are extremely tolerant of various hose lengths. Better with hoses installed too long than too short.

After painting & weathering the ProtoHands will wear nicely; silver metal will show through where the hands routinely clap together or rub.

We are governed by the laws of physics: opposites attract. There simply is no way to mount a magnet in a prototypical gladhand that allows the car to be turned 180 degrees within the consist.

Even if both faces of each magnet are available (which does not look like a gladhand), it still does not work unless one of the magnets can rotate 180 degrees around the axis of the hose when the car is turned 180. Also, a simple magnet to magnet connection usually results in an un-prototypical V shape connection of the hoses instead of a prototypical, gently curved U shape.

The basic mounting approach is to assign all the B ends to one polarity. For cars that have two brake wheels or just for variation, the cars can be discreetly marked. Once mounted, a car rotated 180° within a consist will not mate with the other gladhands.

The problem of turning an engine and coupling to the other end of a train can be solved with two hoses (with different polarity) on the end of the engine or tender. My D&RGW tenders already have two or three angle cocks from the factory.

-The 1:20.3 ProtoHands are being released first.

-The development of the 1/32 version is almost complete and there are substantial pre-orders.

-We will move forward with the 1/29 development if there is justification.

Geoff

Geoff,

Does the hoses connect when you bring them in close contact with each other, or do you actually have to lace them together. In HO scale a similar product is being released, but in the videos of them in operation, the glad hands connect prior to the couplers making a joint.

Could you post of video of these glad hands in action?

If these glad hands work as you suggest could it be possible that they would stay connected without the magnets at all? If the glad hands connect with the ears, then why would you need a magnet? I ask because I’ve been using O scale glad hands as MU hoses on my diesel locomotives and I can almost make them function without a magnet.

Craig

Craig,

The ProtoHands will jump together when in close proximity. Depending on where the angle cocks are located, the length of the hose and the offset of the coupler from the end sill they may automatically join or one finger may be required to push one glad hand toward the other.

No. This thread caught me by surprise. In due time a video will be made that shows what people at the York show were able to see in person.

The magnets are necessary, because it would be a two handed operation if they were a straight looks like, works like miniature. In a nut shell, the magnets accomplish the joining and the prototypical physical features of the gladhands keep the hoses aligned properly.

Geoff

Geoff - What is the source of the 3/4 couplers? They look great.

Jon Radder said:

Geoff - What is the source of the 3/4 couplers? They look great.

Jon,

I believe those are Accucraft 1/32 scale couplers. Kevin Strong uses them to represent 3/4 couplers on his stuff. Just a guess.

Geoff Ringle said:

-The development of the 1/32 version is almost complete and there are substantial pre-orders.

Geoff

Ya know… I always wonder why folks go ahead with the 1:32 development first, and then will do the 1:29 development later, “if there is justification.”

The number of folks who model in 1:32 is extremely small when compared to the number of folks who model in 1:29.

Don’t they do any market research first? My guess is that most of the pre-orders in 1:32 are from guys who model in 1:29 and are used to being slighted, and say, “Oh, what the heck, its close enough.”

What a cool idea.

Any photos of these glad hands with Kadee couplers (G scale, not #1 scale)?

I’d like to see a size comparison as my layout is 1:22.5. But I think the 1:20.3 hoses would look OK.

Jon,

The couplers are 1/32 Accucraft working couplers.

A little more info:

Twenty some years ago 1:20 modelers like Jeff Saxon and Gary Watkins were using KD #1 couplers on their West Side and SPC models. The 1/32 KD became the de facto standard for modeling a ¾ size coupler in 1/20. When the Accucraft 1/32 coupler became available it was a natural for use with the Carmer style uncoupling levers employed by the EBT.

The two brands can be used together; if the Accucraft coupler is closed it will couple nicely with the KD

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8596609645_0031bbe65b_c.jpg)

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8597714470_2889ff2d36_c.jpg)

Can be modified to work as a bottom operated coupler

Geoff Ringlé

[email protected]

Steve Featherkile said:

Geoff Ringle said:

Geoff

Ya know… I always wonder why folks go ahead with the 1:32 development first, and then will do the 1:29 development later, “if there is justification.”

The number of folks who model in 1:32 is extremely small when compared to the number of folks who model in 1:29.

Don’t they do any market research first? My guess is that most of the pre-orders in 1:32 are from guys who model in 1:29 and are used to being slighted, and say, “Oh, what the heck, its close enough.”

Steve,

In this case physics dictates the development order. Getting the product to work in the smaller 1/32 size is the justification. The 1/32 scale 3D acrylic prints look good and work nicely. The next step is to test the pre-production Nickel-Silver investment castings. Once the 1/32 design is proven, the development of the slightly larger (approximately 9 percent) 1/29 scale ProtoHands should be straightforward.

All of the orders for 1/32 that I have taken are from 1/32 modelers that place a very high importance on scale accuracy.

I do agree with your assessment of the 1/29 modelers plight. I have noted an increase in the level & sophistication of 1/29 modeling and we plan to offer a product if we see the interest.

Geoff Ringlé

[email protected]

Matt Doti said:

What a cool idea.

Any photos of these glad hands with Kadee couplers (G scale, not #1 scale)?

I’d like to see a size comparison as my layout is 1:22.5. But I think the 1:20.3 hoses would look OK.

Hi Matt,

The G size KD couplers are very close in size to the 1/20 Accucraft couplers. I think the 1/20 ProtoHands will look good (with the KD uncoupling hoses removed).

Sorry, I don’t have anything to mount the KDs on for a photo.

Geoff

Took another look at them. I thought it was 20 bucks a car. That’s the price for 4 cars. (Never said I was smart.) Good price at 5.00 a car.

Remember to cut off those fake hoses on the KD’s.

Also, the Bachmann Spectrum cars have a huge oversize pin on their air valves. You will have to come up with a sleeve of some kind to hold the smaller tubing on. Maybe shrink tube?

Might have to order a few sets myself. Most of my stuff is pre-air-brake era, but I’m looking right now at a photo of one of my EBT 2-bay hoppers from Bachmann, and the gladhand is just gawdawful looking. A more realistic-looking one would definitely be a welcome addition if only from an aesthetic standpoint. Having them actually connect would be pretty cool for when I’m running my “modern” equipment.

Later,

K

Geoff Ringle said:

Hi Matt,

The G size KD couplers are very close in size to the 1/20 Accucraft couplers. I think the 1/20 ProtoHands will look good (with the KD uncoupling hoses removed).

Yep forgot to mention…with the KD hoses removed. I cut them off in HO and G since I don’t utilize magnetic uncoupling.

There is a company trying this in HO as well;

HO air hose Youtube Video Link

But due to the super small size, they don’t look as nice as the large scale ones.

Yes the nubs are big on the Bachmann Spectrum angle cocks (air valves) but the supplied tubing pushes right on (with a little spit for lube). I cleaned the old glue residue and some of the paint with a jeweler’s file. The hoses grab well, in this case no glue required.

On other installations (Accucraft, Hartford, ect.) a small dab of glue on the angle cock is recommended.

In all cases no glue is recommended on the gladhand end of the hose; so that the gladhands can be adjusted to mate face-to-face. The ProtoHands have a barb feature molded in and really hold on to the supplied tubing.

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8367/8598715880_f121aa6aac_c.jpg)

ProtoHands™ installation on a Spectrum long caboose. The angle cock has been relocated closer to the centerline and the piping was given a little twist so that the hose points prototypically inward.

Geoff Ringlé

[email protected]

Can anyone grab an equipped USA modern car and show how these look on a standard gauge car? I know they will be oversize, but I’m thinking of the 20.3 version for the trainline with the 32 version for the locomotive MU hoses.

J.D. Gallaway said:

Can anyone grab an equipped USA modern car and show how these look on a standard gauge car? I know they will be oversize, but I’m thinking of the 20.3 version for the trainline with the 32 version for the locomotive MU hoses.

J.D.

It would be really cool to see all 4 air hoses (sometimes 5 hoses) connected up in mu operation along with the 27 pin electrical jumper cable.

Sorry, I don’t have access to any USA rolling stock. Only Jason, Clem and several others have the pre-production samples of the ProtoHands.

Expect the production 1/20 units to ship within 4-6 weeks. Hopefully the 1/32 scale won’t lag too far behind that. If I receive a reasonable amount of order inquires for 1/29 I will move forward with producing those.

If I was modeling 1/29, I would use the 1/32 gladhands for mu connections and use a larger hose on the 1/32 gladhand for the train line connection until the 1/29 scale ProtoHands are available.

Orders and inquiries should be directed to the following:

Old Iron Design • 609 396 5744 • email: [email protected]

The Train Department • 732 770 9625 • thetraindepartment.com

Warrior Run Locomotive Works • 570 735 5570 • warriorrunlocoworks.com

J.D. Gallaway said:

6th post …