Large Scale Central

Another tressel up in smoke

Sacramento Fire. http://www.kcra.com/index.html

Shall we say that UP is temporarily screwed…:confused:

I’m somewhat surprised that Class 1 main line still crosses a wooden trestle. Not in Sacramento any more!

Any news yet on the cause? The last big one was caused by a hot box.

JR

Jon Radder said:
I'm somewhat surprised that Class 1 main line still crosses a wooden trestle. Not in Sacramento any more!

JR

I have it on good authority that it was caused by Global Warming. :lol:

That’s a Global Hotbox!

Steve Featherkile said:
Jon Radder said:
I'm somewhat surprised that Class 1 main line still crosses a wooden trestle. Not in Sacramento any more!

JR

I have it on good authority that it was caused by Global Warming. :lol:

If that is the “Truth”, it could be a little “Inconvenient”…

They are calling the fire suspicious and are offering a $2500.00 reward for any tips that lead to an arrest as an arson investigation continues.

John said:
They are calling the fire suspicious and are offering a $2500.00 reward for any tips that lead to an arrest as an arson investigation continues.
UP always was a little cheap.
Steve Featherkile said:
UP always was a little cheap.
Youppi is a bird?

I think Steve was referring to the “reward”. Does seem a bit low for the amount of damage and inconvenience the fire has caused.

Is this the trestle that is on the west side of Sacramento, north of Interstate 80, between Davis and Sacramento??? There was one across the ““Flood Plain””, on the west side of Sacramento, used to be owned by SP… That was back in the late 80’s, early 90’s…
Left the area in 91 and haven’t been back since…

I truly hate to see historic railroad artifacts like this venerable old trestle going up in smoke. We have a couple just like it here in UK, including one over the estuary of the River Tawe in mid-wales that is over half a mile long. Be VERY difficult to fight a fire on that if it ever went up.

In commemoration of this latest railroad history tragedy, we are going to name a trestle after it on our new-formed track.

We are going to call it The ’ ’ Memorial Bridge - the blank space signifying the missing spans of the bridge.

Me and ig hope you all approve.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Terry A de C Foley said:
We are going to call it The ' ' Memorial Bridge - the blank space signifying the missing spans of the bridge.
But will that lovely Garratt be able to leap the gap? Or are you relying on the dragon to fly it across?
Andy Clarke said:
Is this the trestle that is on the west side of Sacramento, north of Interstate 80, between Davis and Sacramento??? ....
No, this trestle is on the east side of central Sacramento where the (now) UP mainline between Sacramento and Roseville (then on to Reno) crosses the American River. It's the east side approach trestle to the steel truss bridge that actually crosses the river. Like most of the rest of the trans-Sierra line, it's double tracked there. Pictures look like the wooden trestle is completely gone, with some still smoldering, but the steel truss bridge is undamaged.

Newspaper this am quotes UP as saying single track service will be operational within two weeks and full service restored within one to two months. I don’t think the UP brain trust in Omaha has ever dealt with the bureaucrats in CA, or they would be estimating two years rather than two weeks!!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the clarification…