Large Scale Central

Another track plan

Well the Boss, Mrs What were you Thinking, SWMBO, has given a green light on a plan, we have purchased 3 pallets of retaining wall blocks and today I did a test to see what the approximate layout will encompass. Here is the plan drawing, I have made some changes but do not have current plan. Changes are on the south, bottom the inner track has been moved to close to the edge/walk way, and the town streets have been turned 45 to where they are now. Bridges are in same spots , but tunnels have been moved back from them and are more to the east side of the layout, and the outer loop had 2 tunnels with a short open space between them pencil colored areas are ground level , access and for viewing

A somewhat blurry picture of the changes to the east side tunnel changes,

View from the south looking north and the side of the house,

this is from the northwest corner looking to the east, All the Grass will be removed and this will become a large hill, with 3 bridges, an 3 tunnels

The shot s looking west from the patio, testing height of finished wall, I am thinking 4 blocks high, about 16" is enought, 5 may cost too much as far as fill dirt and extra blocks with not a lot of difference

This shot is from the Pool area looking west. Most of this will be filled and the " feature" will be the mountain, with the tunnels and hopefully water to go under the bridges, Big plans, I have enough track to make the outer loop and some sidings

I have a BBQ joint for the layout already on hand, now I need a dump truck full of dirt to stop by. Actually first I need to decide how to change the sprinklers to watering for the plants that will live on the layout and what electrical or wiring I would need to run before blocks and dirt get set. I would love to have LED solar lighting for the buildings and any features, just need to figure out what will be best way to accomplish that.

Be interesting to watch the progress… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Andy Clarke said:

Be interesting to watch the progress… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Yup…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Problem #1 is I am in Az and its about to get hot, and #2 its going to stay hot until November, so slow progress will be the norm.

You might want to test out the difference on sitting on a 16" high wall, and a 21" high wall. I did and all my walls are 21" high by popular vote.

Makes a big difference to comfort, sitting and reaching, in my opinion.

Greg

I kinda have to say weigh the cost of height. I opted for a minimum of 18" and a max of 30". Now I haven’t run anything yet of course but already I can see where 21" would be better than 16". But as a budget minded person who is also building a new road I can appreciate cost.

Also remember reach. Most people will find 30" to be about the max they can reach without having to support themselves. So in those deeper areas consider how they will access it and where they will kneel or whatever. I don’t think we can ever really plan it but as I am building I am considering how people will get access to everything.

With that said I love the plan. Expect it to evolve as you build.

Glad you got the green light let the work begin.

The trackplan looks good, Pete. I look forward to seeing it progress. Is it done yet?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Good lookin’plan.

What is the purpose of your railroad?

How soon will you get bored with your locomotive chasing your caboose?

Purpose?

Mine keeps me out of bars. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I only see one cross over between the loops, you won’t like having to back your train out to undo going in. 2 ways in/out, 1 each way, works better, in my mind. Yes I see that it leads to your reverse loop, but after you go back to the outer loop, that condition pops up.

I had a layout with a reverse loop off of an oval, quickly I had to make the entrance a wye with access from either direction. I tired of that too soon, because you know each layout is the one to last a lifetime and I was bored, too soon. I took the need to elevate, to redo it mostly all over; 2 reverse loops and a run in between. I can either run as a point to point or use the loops to have continuous running. Just a thought while an eraser still works…

It’s time to get rid of all the grass and go xeriscape. If you must irrigate, use a drip system, evaporation is a killer, so bury the drippers near the root ball. Timers make it easy to keep your Priorities straight; The garden is self sufficient, let’s run trains!

John

Yeah John, I keep looking for a place to add the second reverse loop and it has completely eluded me so far, the side of the house area is only 15’ wide so with a 2 ft wide path thers is not a lot of room for a loop there, and still have access to the storage shed below the drawing

Here is a picture looking to the south. long term plans call for a yard to be built along the block fence, so thinking is it can work as a out and back type of track plan the layout is SUPPOSED to end at the 2 blocks peeking out from behind the Aloe plant. Steve I have plenty (I think) of space for sidings and switching, you should see some of the previous plans. I definitely want to do more than just warch trains roll around, and I have the option of 2 trains running on seperate tracks, in different directions if need to just sit back and watch.

In the next few weeks I will get all my track and my bender out to see where the tracks want to go, and how much room I will have for scenery and attractions.

Devon and Greg, Thanks for the feedback, as much as I want to save, having another 4 inches or so of height now will probably be well worth it in a few years, and being 6’4" less bending now means better back in the years to come.

Dan, Is y’alls done yet???.

My graph paper drawing has come out almost perfect as far as wall ideas. I was guessing 140 blocks per row of height and as they lay on the ground now it is 132, so just over 1 pallet of 126 per row of height, so I might have to buy only 1 more pallet of block to go 5 high. nOt that big of deal, Now to figure out square footage and convert to truck loads of fill dirt. Not looking forward to that number.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Please keep them coming

Nice plan so far. If you can fit that second reverse loop you will be very happy. That is one thing I’m glad I did on my layout. I wish I had the money to elevate mine with block, def easier to work on layout.

As for purpose I like Johns idea “keeps us out of the bars” My engine has been chasing the caboose for 10 years now and I still love every moment of it. Maybe when I retire and have time ill think differently(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Assuming that there are no grade changes, you could extend the siding at “Z”, near the top of your drawing, to a turnout on the inner mainline. That will give you the second reverse loop. For ops sessions, just put a brick at the appropriate point, or not. This will give you an additional siding for ops.

I viewed your plan on a small screen, at first, and did not notice the sidings you have. This is a really good plan.

Steve Featherkile said:

Assuming that there are no grade changes, you could extend the siding at “Z”, near the top of your drawing, to a turnout on the inner mainline. That will give you the second reverse loop. For ops sessions, just put a brick at the appropriate point, or not. This will give you an additional siding for ops.

I viewed your plan on a small screen, at first, and did not notice the sidings you have. This is a really good plan.

B b bu but the 2nd RL should be connected to the Outer Loop. 2 on the inner loop, doesn’t solve getting back in once you leave…

John

John Caughey said:

Steve Featherkile said:

B b bu but the 2nd RL should be connected to the Outer Loop. 2 on the inner loop, doesn’t solve getting back in once you leave…

John

I see that. The fix is to put a pair pf LH turnouts right next to the RH pair. In and out at the same place. Or put them someplace else. The idea is that a pair of LH turnouts will be the solution.

Add in the red lines, and problem solved.

Looks like it will be a nice railroad. Lots of manual labor ahead. I wish mine were raised, most of my RR is ground level. As you get older it becomes more painful, LOL

looks like the plan I posted was an older one than I thought, I have added the switches you showed, Steve so that it is able to do out and back ops and also have 2 running at separate directions if I want it on “Show mode”. I will post a better picture soon.

I don’t get it?

Making the RL shorter does not reverse direction on the outer loop. I did mention the 2nd crossover in the beginning, but that just makes it easier to back through the RL.

Most important tho’ is Are you happy?

then

Full Speed Ahead!

John

John Caughey said:

I don’t get it?

Making the RL shorter does not reverse direction on the outer loop. I did mention the 2nd crossover in the beginning, but that just makes it easier to back through the RL.

then

Full Speed Ahead!

John

John, you’re right.

I’m stumped.

Mike McLaughlin said:

Looks like it will be a nice railroad. Lots of manual labor ahead. I wish mine were raised, most of my RR is ground level. As you get older it becomes more painful, LOL

Mike, it wasn’t painful at all this year rehabbing my railroad. After the first train ran I laid down for a nap. After the nap, that’s when I was in pain For days I was walking around like I was a decrepit old man. If this is 50, how bad is 60?

Steve Featherkile said:

John Caughey said:

I don’t get it?

then

Full Speed Ahead!

John

John, you’re right.

I’m stumped.

If the inner loop is raised enough in the tunnel area, it’s possible a hidden loop could be threaded through under the other one. That’s the only way keeping it all self contained … Carnak* sez; I see a service track around the pool.

• that’ll date ya!

John