Large Scale Central

Another Strange Beast - Hammond Lumber #17 0-8-0T

Pete Thornton said:

Rear truck version 2. I shortened the pivot bar about 1/2" as it seemed there was room above for the wheels.

The position is now much better, but there needs to be some frame or spring stuff to make it look real.

While it does look better the big question is how much play and clearance do those wheel flanges have from the frame in curves on not exactly level and even track?

Morning Pete,

Just had a chance to catch up on your thread. Nice engine and I like your modifications. The packaging did leave a little bit to be desired, but he did assist with the dissassembly, that both know you would do. Let’s say it was better than wrapping in a quilt.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

My 2 favorite glues are JB Weld and Goop. Both are strong and need to be used on an etched surface, but hold well. Don’t let Rooster know this, but I’ve come to respect his “pinning” method using very thin brass wire. Its very forgiving and easy to repair/replace/modify.

Thanks for sharing.

Just had a chance to catch up on your thread.

I noticed. I got 13 emails in a row as you ‘liked’ each post. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Pete Thornton said:

Just had a chance to catch up on your thread.

I noticed. I got 13 emails in a row as you ‘liked’ each post. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Might want to change your preferences - unless you just love getting emails.

Might want to change your preferences - unless you just love getting emails.

Well, it wasn’t a problem until everyone started to “like” the posts.

Moving right along. . while the C&S 2-6-0 live steamer’ gaskets are setting (thread on MLS about those trials and tribulations,) I got the 0-8-2T out to see what needs fixing now it is basically complete. I had a box of windows and doors that had fallen off, so they got glued back. Then there are some heavy metal steps, which should work for the cab.

Unfortunately, as the coal bunker is from a different engine, there’s a piece of frame that stops abruptly under the cab. I soldered the step to a piece of brass that pretends to extend the frame and terminate it.

That’s just a trial run to see if it works. Now to make another, figure out how to bolt them in place, and paint them black.

David Marconi,CHHN said:

Pete have you given Plastruct Bondene a try?

Dissolves a thin layer of each surface to form a welded joint as strong as the surrounding area. Bonds Styrene to Styrene, ABS to ABS, Butyrate to Butyrate, and Acrylic to Acrylic and most alike plastic combinations.

I was in Star Hobby buying some strip Evergreen for my latest project so I picked up a bottle of this stuff. It does indeed bond styrene to Bachmann ABS plastic. I haven’t tried it on the loco, but it works a charm on the coach roof, which is a current project. (More details when it is done.) It bonded the strip along the edge of the roof, and even softens the styrene so it glues to the resin (grey bits. All the overspill will be hidden by sanding and a roof covering.)

Pete Thornton said:

David Marconi,CHHN said:

Pete have you given Plastruct Bondene a try?

Dissolves a thin layer of each surface to form a welded joint as strong as the surrounding area. Bonds Styrene to Styrene, ABS to ABS, Butyrate to Butyrate, and Acrylic to Acrylic and most alike plastic combinations.

I was in Star Hobby buying some strip Evergreen for my latest project so I picked up a bottle of this stuff. It does indeed bond styrene to Bachmann ABS plastic. I haven’t tried it on the loco, but it works a charm on the coach roof, which is a current project. (More details when it is done.) It bonded the strip along the edge of the roof, and even softens the styrene so it glues to the resin (grey bits. All the overspill will be hidden by sanding and a roof covering.)

Nice. (I was going to like this, but apparently you are still getting too many emails?)

(I was going to like this, but apparently you are still getting too many emails?)

Nope - go ahead. As you suggested, I updated my ‘preferences’ and now I get none.