Large Scale Central

Another Resin Question/Idea

I just got off the phone with the folks at Alumalite. We got onto the subject of painting resin castings. And the lady there asked what I was currently using as a mold release. She then says that since I am painting them anyway the very best mold release to use when painting is . . .well. . .paint. She says any old can of Krylon will do as long as it is fast drying so that you can keep production up. She said just paint the inside of the mold like you would any release and let it dry completely and then pour. The resin adheres to the paint and makes a pretty permanent bond. She did caution away from rustoleum as it has been know to work against the resin. She said Krylon brand works the best. She said then top coats adhere very well tot he part making a very durable finish.

Has anyone tried this? One subject that has come up with the bunks that I want to make are the desire to have the base part be a rust color so that you can let it show through for a weathered effect. The resin can be dyed but not with much precision. If a person finds their favorite krylon color and uses it as the base I think this would add a lot of flexibility to the casting process.

Thoughts?

I have done it in the past, and it does work. As long as your mold is made in such a way you can coat the whole thing. If you can’t, it won’t kill you, its only a cosmetic defect.

Lately, what I have been doing for a good paint-to-resin bond is to prime my patterns before I make the mold. I’m using flat gray. It has a slightly grainy texture which the mold picks up, and consequently, the resin copies.

That’s another good tip. Thanks Burl. Most all of the molds I have made so far don’t have much in the way of undercut details. I can see what you mean, though, if you do you can’t shoot the paint in there. But then like you said a minor touch up on those parts. For my current bunk project this won’t be an issue and I am excited to try this.

And Devon is off on another tangent…There is a railroad to be built.

But at least Devon is consistent…

David Maynard said:

And Devon is off on another tangent…There is a railroad to be built.

But at least Devon is consistent…

Oh this isn’t my only tangent either. But this one is only kinda distracting. This is all related to the Aristo flat car into log car bash. I already have the mold made (though will likely make a couple more). So its just a matter of pouring a whole bunch of them. I want to finish the one prototype car just putzing around with it. But eventually I will make 15 or so of these cars and at four buncks per car well thats a lot of bunks that need to be made. I will just be stock piling them. This has also turned into a joint project with a friend and he wants like 20 sets. But really its just a matter of pouring them and giving them to him.

Devon Sinsley said:

I already have the mold made. So its just a matter of pouring a whole bunch of them.

But really its just a matter of pouring them.

(edited)

Yea, if only it was. We all know that projects never go that smooth, and they also take more time then we originally budgeted.

While I certainly agree David, this one should be just about that easy. I do need to make a couple more molds so that i can pour up more than one at a time. So there is some time involved there. But once I have the molds then it will be a matter of pour a few here pour a few there when ever I have a spare moment. I am in no rush for them. The guy I am working with on this project is a little more antsy to get it done and I likely will knock his out pretty quick. He is paying the bills and i am doing the work. So I can’t procrastinate on his. But for mine I don’t plan on devoting much time to it. I have the one car I want done just as the prototype for future cars as I acquire them I will build them. I have 5 of them now and they are not a high priority.

♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♫

Did you say something?

David Maynard said:

♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♫

Did you say something?

be nice now

David Maynard said:

♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♫

Did you say something?

David Maynard said:

Rooster, didn’t Bob say something about users making blank or pointless posts, just to boost their post count?

1. Avoid off-topic, and filler posts. Stay on topic within the thread, and contribute to it. Don’t post just to increase your post count.

Devon Sinsley said:

David Maynard said:

♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♫

Did you say something?

be nice now

Devon, oh that’s right, you haven’t seen my file. There is a letter in there that states that I “need to work on my interpersonal relationships”. In other words, I don’t always play well with others. On other forms in my file, my customers satisfaction surveys are very high, in the words of my manager, “your customers really love you”.

**…**There is a letter in there that states that I “need to work on my interpersonal relationships”. In other words, I don’t always play well with others…

That letter is in MY file. Must be the same officer at the Bureau of Geniality sending out the same warning letters.

John, yea, but my performance review that year started with “Your customers really love you” and ended with “You need to work on your interpersonal relationships.” I wasn’t raised on a farm, but I did spend a summer on a farm as kid, so I know it when I step in it.

My letter states better off working in dark closets. . .alone

Ah, the “mushroom treatment”. Been there. Done that.

I had to own my own business, got tired of working with and around idiots. Last job I quit, they asked why I was quitting, I told them that if I didnt quit I would wind up throwing that EXPLETIVE,DELETED, REALLY BAD MULTI SYLABLE WORD, DELETED off the railcar , or it would end reallly badly. Since then I have been a calm person.

Pete, the idiots can be really frustrating, but I tend to end up working for bullies. I deserve better, and I have it at my current job.

Bragdon recommends using spray lacquer, color unimportant, so I suppose using a color that is important would work, too. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

The lady at Alumilite said color was only important if you were to leave them unpainted. The paint acts as a mold release and then as a primer. But for this application John wants to leaves areas exposed to show “rust”. So we will be giving this a try.