Large Scale Central

Another new guy!

Hi guys! Yes, it’s another new guy. From Ventura County, California which is just north of Los Angeles County. I’ve been visiting LSC for a couple of years now and have been getting great ideas and tips from all of you. This is my second layout. The first one, in another house, was about 120 feet. I learned a lot and am trying to apply it to the new line. This is a new line! The first track was laid in March 2010 after several months of prep work. The mainline is 360 feet of track plus a switching yard and several sidings. It is located on a side hill above a driveway with long grades (3% max.) and 9 ½ foot minimum diameter curves. A complete circuit on the mainline moves the train from a lower level to upper level of our property. A PVC “ladder” system is used extensively for roadbed construction. Limited track power is available, but battery power will provide the greatest flexibility. The lower terminus is located in a metal workshop. Here are some pictures: No structures yet. I’ve been concentrating on laying track, moving dirt & rock, irrigation, electrical, etc. LOTS MORE TO DO! Upper loop with temporary dwarf spruces to be relocated later:

Here’s a look at the back side of the upper loop:

The mainline loses elevation as it curves around toward the shop:

Here’s a beauty shot of my scratch-built all steel four section bridge. It’s a 10 foot diameter curve and this is the only way I could make the switchback in the limited space. 330 individually cut pieces and about 600 welds!

Here’s a view looking north:

The last four weekends have been spent adding four cubic yards of dirt and about two tons of rock. Here are some shots of the layout:

The PVC ladder system works great. Slowly, I am masking it or replacing sections with bridges, etc. Regards, Joe

Hey Joe welcome aboard and BTW your layout looks “Fabulous”. Your pictures will be a great addition to the site.

Chuck

Welcome, Joe.
Very nice layout. And the bridge is cool.
Did you take any photos during the layout construction?
Ralph

Welcome, Joe! Glad to have you on board. Layout looks great, and I, too, love the bridge!

Joe, welcome aboard, and a great looking layout… keep the pictures coming… :slight_smile:

Wow, that is nice!

Welcome Joe. It always nice to see what can be done with a severely sloping site. Your railroad looks great so far. Looking forward to more.

Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments. I’ll try to post some layout build pictures after work tonight. Regarding the severe slope, I joke with my wife that I wouldn’t know what to do with a flat piece of land. Here in SoCal suburbia, land can be a scarce commodity.

Very very nice layout… tks for the photos… welcome aboard…

More photos when you have time… neat stuff

Welcome Joe !!

Welcome aboard! Great layout, and I love that steel bridge! Nice work.

Are you going to use helpers on the hill? That’d be a neat operation to add & take off helper engines.

A very fine looking railroad Joe. And may I add my kudos for the bridge?

Hey, all new guys are welcome and all layout pix are welcome!!

Layout looks great :slight_smile:

seems, that “new guy” is not necessarily the same as “beginner”…

welcome!

Very nice layout. It shows you have great talent in metal work. Thanks for sharing

Richard Smith said:
Are you going to use helpers on the hill? That'd be a neat operation to add & take off helper engines.

A very fine looking railroad Joe. And may I add my kudos for the bridge?

Richard:
We played around with helpers during a club meet this spring and had a lot of fun with it. Two locomotives and two operators required good coordination. The grade is 3% stretched out over about 170 feet plus two 180 degree curves being flat, about a five foot total rise. It really did not pose much of a problem for any of the consists unless they were really long.

I’ve got another section in mind that will have a 5+ degree grade, but that’s down the list of projects right now.

I’ve got a spot for stationing a helper that can service the existing grade plus the proposed 5+ degree spur.