Large Scale Central

Another expensive hobby ...

I saw a pic that reminded me of Mik, just Mik.

RIP

http://www.buckmarks.co.uk/events/masham-steam-rally-2/

I don’t have any steam tractors but I did share a love of old iron with Mik. We used to chat more about our tractors and engines than trains. Thanks for the link John and the good memories!

Steve

I always thought an old Sentinel steam bus would be neat to have. Then I come to my senses.

You haven’t seen any small steam trolleys, have you?

Here’s a steam bus in “action”, probably not too practical but certainly impressive.

There are some wonderful stories about these old steamers blowing up… driver screwing down the safety valve a bit more than usual to save steam whilst he went for a beer and lunch. His luncn - (and others for a half mile or so) - was interrupted by a very loud boom. and a shower of iron bits.

I remember these steam lorries as a kid (late 1930’s), used by the local Gas Light and Coke company and others …great to stand by them in the winter for a warm!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

The type I remember, is in the UK steam rally photos mentioned in a post above. Its the seventh row down and second photo in…

I have seen in the past, a couple of scale models (working) of these steam lorries at the Model Engineer Exhibition held in London annually.

Mark Hadler said:

Here’s a steam bus in “action”, probably not too practical but certainly impressive.

Streets a bit narrow in Whitby!! However…WIKI details :-

Elizabeth is a steam powered ‘combination bus’ that operates in the English seaside town of Weston-super-Mare, (south coast of the Bristol Channel) and previously in Whitby (NE England seaside town)

The vehicle was created in 2002, when a tourism transport operator, the Northern Star Motor Carriage Company, converted a 1931 Sentinel steam-powered DG6P flatbed lorry into a 30-seat bus. It is used to take people on a tour of the town, providing up to ten trips per day over the summer months. It is the only steam bus in revenue-earning service in the world and has become something of a tourist attraction in its own right.

As of April 2015 it has been purchased by Crosville, a public and heritage bus operator in Weston-super-Mare.

It has two gears, chain transmission, six wheels and ten pneumatic tyres, and a body made from white ash and mahogany. It was a flatbed lorry and then a tar sprayer in its original commercial life, before being bought from a scrapyard for preservation in 1962.

Before the bus could carry fare-paying passengers, it had to undergo a 35° tilt test and required an amendment to the Road Traffic Act since the exhaust was not sited at the rear of the vehicle.

In November 2011, it took part in London’s Lord Mayor’s Show. The journey from Whitby to London, via York, Leeds, Bradford, Burton upon Trent and Rugby was all by Elizabeth’s own steam power.

John Caughey said:

I saw a pic that reminded me of Mik, just Mik.

RIP

http://www.buckmarks.co.uk/events/masham-steam-rally-2/

The Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association has an annual festival which is similar to the UK one in that video. Tuckahoe is on the eastern shore in MD, just north of Easton. Aikenback Live Steamers are usually there with the track running our trains.

I don’t know. I used the “embed” code this time and got rubbish again. How do I get to the “edit” button to fix this?

Just search Youtube for “tuckahoe steam”.

Great Fun!

Jerry

Speaking of Mik