Large Scale Central

Another curious Bachmann 2-6-0 repair

Any time I see one of these selling for peanuts I grab it, as by now I find them easy to repair!
This one came to me absolutely covered in dust. Definitely wasn’t the pride of anyone’s display.

It was sold with bad gears and maybe other problems. I found it rolled nicely (cracked gear?) but more surprising, when you applied power there was no motor sound.
This is also the first one I’ve seen with the center wheel pins installed. I’ve seen the pin carrier, but never actually on the loco!

First order of business before you turn one of these over is to remove the stuff on the steam dome, as it invariably gets broken otherwise.

Once you get the center axle out of the bearings and valve gear, you can lift the motor up and out of the frame. [I won’t belabor the process of swapping the gear - it is well documented elsewhere.]
Then I applied power to the motor and zilch. Looking closely, I found some charred and broken components on the RF board.

So I took it out completely - it is for RF interference, as far as I know, and can be thrown away. The two loose grey wires come from the direction switch in the smokebox.

I applied power directly to the motor, and still nada. So I took the gearbox apart (to get at the drive gear) and unscrewed the motor. Still nuthin. The motor shaft moves about 1/8th so I suspect the commutator is destroyed. We will see when I get inside it.

I found Bachmann lists the motor and gearbox on the website for a pretty penny. I posted a few requests for a used motor, but the more I thought about it, the more I suspect it is the same motor used in the 4-6-0, etc. I’m going through my motor stash this afternoon.

1 Like

Unless I find a replacement motor in my stash, there will now be a long intermission, while I head for the Canadian Rockies to ride the Rocky Mountaineer!

Well when you return from the trip you should probably order a spur gear as well as it’s cracked.

1 Like

I saw your other post. We have at least one working 4-6-0 motor in our 10-wheeler bits bin.

Eric

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I found a new replacement motor for $12 on eBay so let’s see if that works.

My pleasure! Least we could do!

Eric

The new motor turned [4 days late] today, and as described, it is an exact fit. The seller says it is designed for cordless drill service and fits the 4-6-0 or 2-8-0, so now you know it also fits the Spectrum 2-6-0, and the 4-4-0.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364842027894

I have it in a clamp to make it sit still while I bolt the gearbox back on to it. (The blue tape stops the gears falling, which they will do if you aren’t careful.

I also put a tiny drop of oil on the motor bearings.

Then we get to the fun part. Knowing I had a split gear, I got out my bag of 2-6-0/4-4-0 gears.

That sure is a lot of axles and even a new-type “D” gear, without a D axle. I found the NWSL bag with the 2226-6 gear, which is also the correct one even though it says 2-8-0. You really think Bachmann makes different size gears if they can help it?

The funny bit is that the gear won’t fit the axle. Note the package says 6.0mm bore? My axles are 6.35mm diameter or 0.25" = 1/4". Quite strange for a Chinese manufacturer. It’s 0.26" over the knurled section so drilling it 1/4" should be fine.

I got out a 1/4" drill and it fits easily in the old gear, even if you squeeze it back together.

So onward with some careful drilling to make it fit.

Technically for you technical guys 6mm is 1/64" shy of 1/4"

Yes, but why would a Chinese manufacturer work in 1/64ths. Maybe they bought the axles from a US or UK steel fabricator?

They aren’t Pete. They are using a very worn out drill bit that’s all.

The drill press has been sitting with a 1/4" drill in it for days. Too many distractions.

Anyway, today I did the deed. The strip of wood gave me a way to hold it still without ripping my finger ends.

I gently tapped it on to the axle, and put the gearbox back together. Well, I tried.

Very strange. The axle wouldn’t fit.

I found one of my old axles and it fit perfectly. so a magnifier showed me a burr on the axle. No idea how that got there - tapping the gear on to the axle with it held lightly in a vise ain’t gonna cause that.

So I swapped axles and now I have a smoothly operating motor and gearbox.

1 Like

As I had a working motor, I cut the tabs holding the old motor together and tapped the end off.

You’ll notice the puddle of melted nylon under the left brush and holder. That was stopping the brush moving. Someone mentioned that these motors will melt the end bearing and it moves in the nylon. Something like that happened here.

It’s been about 30 years since I’ve seen a puddle of melted nylon.

So… what melted your nylon back in the hood?

Cliff,

Nylons…

IMG_9386

In every way, the answer is friction.

[image deleted]

OK, sorry Pete…

You missed one:

I read somewhere that these motors overheat due to overloads (too many cars, motor slows down, current goes up . .) Then the nylon end bearing gets hot and moves (!) and spreads molten nylon on the brushes.

First time I’d seen it, though the Bachmann trolleys tend to do something similar.

1 Like

Reminds me of David Maynard’s famous leg lamp…

Back to our regularly scheduled program. . .

I put it all back together and turned it over to set it on its wheels, and guess what - a washer fell out. Don’t you hate it when that happens?

Turned out to be from the main axle, so it all came apart again and then put back together. Lots of opportunity to drop or break things.

Then I took it over to Jerry’s SC&M on a sunny but cool afternoon. It seemed fine. . .

. . . until I tried reverse, and all I got was a grind from the gears and then a whine from an unconnected motor. It still ran forward, until it didn’t.

So back at home, I stripped it all down and took the motor out - again. As I suspected, the worm had decided not to stick to the shaft.
This motor has a flat on the shaft, which I had noticed but not worried about as the worm seemed to settle on the shaft quite firmly. Not firmly enough, obviously.

I cleaned it all and used some Loctite on the shaft. I then got down some very small stainless dressmaking pins (daughter gave me them to use for framing her cross-stitch.) Two pins fitted nicely in the gap left by the slot, so I pushed another in and tapped it with a hammer. The Loctite was still runny so they got soaked in that.

I could have soldered them in the worm, but I figured this would work. A cut-off in the Dremel took care of the ends of the pins.

Shaft on the right, 3 pins on the left. We’ll see if this holds up.

While we are talking about gears and axles, I got out my “D” axle gear

which, as you can see, doesn’t fit the axle past the flats for the valve gear.

Having just drilled out the NWSL 2226-6 gear, I figured it was time to try drilling the “D” out of this gear. Seems to have worked fine.

With really hard nylon the drill may have decided to make a new hole approximating the original. It’s not that hard, so the drill seems to have just removed the “D”.