Large Scale Central

Andy Clarke

ECLSTS 2014

Back in the day on Kens original layout.

5 Likes

I apologize for not being here more often. I feel Jane will make contact when she can. As soon as plans are finalized, I will make sure they are posted.

Jane and Andy have always spoke of all the wonderful people in this hobby. Through out the late 1990’s and the first 15 years of this Century, we traveled to a lot of railroads together. The memories are almost unbelievable.

Share the memories and friends are always friends, whether with us or not. Andy enjoyed the largescale fraternity.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan Golding
Kaskaskia Valley Railway
Carlyle, Illinois

7 Likes

5 Likes

Hate to hear this sad news. Thoughts and prayers for the entire Clarke family. Thanks for posting, Rooster.

1 Like

I dont get on forums as much . Rooster just told me the sad news. Andy was a great person. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times over the years and always enjoyed the back of fourth bickering Rooster and Andy always did. He will be missed along with the Ken. Sorry to hear about the loss.

1 Like

Though I hate to hear this news, thanks so much Rooster for letting us know.

I only met Andy face to face at Ken’s last op.

It was my first time at KOPS. And it was also the last time I saw Ken.

Andy, Ken, I’ll meet you on the other side of the grass. Peace my friends.

I was fortunate to visit Andy and Jane last week. Andy was home under hospice care. He was in good spirits even knowing it was only a matter of days.

I’ve known Andy since my earliest visits to ECLSTS. I also had the pleasure of seeing him at many more shows, a number of Bob’s TrainOps and at several of Ken’s KOps.

Before this last bout of health issues, my visit to Carlyle was to coincide with his September session. I’m glad now that my dates changed giving me the opportunity to say goodbye. Some of my last words to him were “It’s been a great run Andy. I’m fortunate to have beenI a small part of it.”

Rest in peace my friend.

He truly was one of the good ones and I’m proud to have been his friend.

6 Likes

Andy’s obituary
https://www.campagnafuneralhomes.com/obituary/andrew-clarke

4 Likes

James, thank you very much for posting Andy’s obituary. It helped me appreciate the gentleman even more.

I’m late finding out about this, my sincere condolences to Jane and the rest of his family and friends !

I spoke with Ric today after Andy’s wake. Many of the Gateway club folks from the early days at York attended with many others. The funeral was today.

RiP Andy.

Well, shoot…Andy was one of the good guys. I haven’t made it out for a while due to life getting in the way, but every time I saw him he still greeted me like we were old friends.

He always gave me grief for bringing steam locos to try and pull massive trains…and frequently going home with something broken.

I recall a specific time when someone had a battery loco die out on the layout and call in on the radio for a new battery to be brought out…“Sure thing, what type of loco is it?” “It’s a Geep”. I waited a second and clicked the radio…“Have you taken it to the Geep dealer?” “OH WHO WAS THAT YOU RAAAAAAARH .” Haha. Sorry, Andy – it was worth it.

What a guy, the sort we don’t have enough of these days.

3 Likes

I never met Andy in person but I always enjoyed all of his postings . Prayers to all his family and many friends he has .

He still owes me $20 !

I’ll catch up with him eventually as he ain’t getting off that easy!

1 Like

Jane asked me to make certain everyone knows that the Bluestone Southern Operating Session on October 19 and 20th is still going to happen. And we plan to make it a Memorial RUN in honor of Andy and the railroad empire he created in his mind. Hours are 12 to 5 both days. Everyone is welcome.

3 Likes

Thanks, Ric…planning to be there; flying this time as Jean no longer drives so I wouldn’t get a break…Hoping that the flight goes well this time…