Large Scale Central

Analysis Paralysis: Llagas Creek vs AML aluminum track?

Michael Moradzadeh said:
Hmm. Samples. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. If only I can get the deer to step on them!
Don't worry they probably won't step on the samples. They may not even step on the track for a year, two or maybe more. When my RR was at ground level I anticipated that occasionally I would suffer a loss now and then from a deer stepping on the rail as it crossed the tracks. What I hadn't anticipated was that they would decide the roadbed made a dandy path. I lost 80 feet of track in one night this way. Rails and ties broken and twisted, totally unrecoverable. You do the math. Aluminum track was a bit over $3 a running foot then. Fortunately none of the switches was stepped on.

We have large deer here with tiny hooves. Lots of weight on a small area and each deer at last count has four of 'em. Also there often is two or more deer together. You may never suffer damage such as I did but rest assured that no track is completely animal/intruder proof. You can only take steps to minimize exposure to damage. Having a good solid substructure beneath the track as you proposed doing is a good start.

A dog helps but beware even here as a deer can do serious damage to a dog with its sharp hooves. One of my neighbors found that out one night when his dog went out to chase a deer and mama came over to protect her fawn. The dog was almost killed and was saved only by a quick trip to the vet. A bit later the poor dog was attacked a second time and was never the same after that. Could barely walk and had to be carried up the steps. Two dogs works better provided they are quick on their feet and work together.

I definitely prefer and use code 250 aluminum rail but if there is a lot of deer intrusion into the RR area and it’s at ground level I would seriously consider code 332 (not aluminum) even with a solid roadbed. Just my own experience. That’s one of the reasons my RR was raised onto elevated benchwork.

The trick: a yard big enough for a railroad and small enough to afford the expense of fencing it in - even better if the predessor did that already. Add one or two dogs who bark at the deer and the bears, but are otherwise as quiet as mice (Huskies).

BTW our front yard is open to the road and deer visit regularly since SWMBO plants some “tasty stuff” and is really upset when the poor deer (that’s when the dog barks at them) clean up in a major way just as “whatever” is ready to bloom.

Well, Hans, as it turns out, that is exactly what I am moving into. The neighbors, who share our gated driveway, have a big dog, and our yard is separately fenced. Okay, I think I am clear from the deer standpoint.

Where I live now, we have many deer, and frequently have to take care to walk past them to get to the front door. When we hear them, we stop and give them time to get clear of us so we do not trap them and cause a panic.

I have used Llagas Creek code 250 aluminum for over ten years. I’ve used brass clamps to hold it together. With battery power you won’t have to worry about conductivity. I’ve used Llagas Creek aluminum switches since I began. Some are factory made, some are from their kits. Wooden ties fall apart over time, just like real ones.

Be careful of using Sunset Valley ties and Llagas Creek rail. I don’t like the look of the SV ties, and I think the plastic ties are just a wee bit too far apart, and the rail come off the ties.