Large Scale Central

an option for lighting dioramas

my indoors layout is in a large room with just two windows.
being a two-storey layout, the lower deck is practically a row of dioramas.
while the upper deck will be lighted well enough by the tubes under the ceiling, the lower deck is very much in the shadows.

well, for me, being a sloppy modeller, a bit of shadows is an advantage. small mistakes and unclean modelling is less noted.

that brought me to the decision, to model the 19th of september 1866 at ten minutes before sunset.

ehem. i am weird, but not that weird. so, strike out the year, month and the day. but keep the ten minutes before sunset.

so what i was looking for was a lighting , that is light enough to show my buildings and figures, but not so bright, to expose my faults.

my decision fell on christmas lightchains to be hung every yard or so from the ceiling(floor of the upper deck) of the layout.

who does not know the time consuming task of finding the burnt-out bulb in such a chain?

but i got lucky. while i still was braining about how to design some kind of removable holding device a friend of mine, an electrician, came to me with some plastic sticks, telling me, they were the solution to my lighting problem.
he had imported some LED stripes for a customer, who wanted indirect light in a room.
the leftovers he gave to me for playing around.

the things have the name of wetelux, are made in germany, come two 1 ft. stripes per pack.
they run on 12 DC. 80 mA / 0.96 W each.
they are like lego. one can join any number of sticks together. (either directly or with some connector cables included),
when connecting more than five of the things in series, i noted a slight loss in brightness.

to keep the story short, we imported 20 pack for me, and i set them up.
two feeder cables, on each four strings of four LED-sticks in series.
the two feeders are connected to one of my modified computer powerpacks.
(for those interested, here is the how to:
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply )

i mounted them in some cable channels, to get a shadow effect, that does leave one side of each building or tree shadowed. (i dislike shadowless modelscenes.)

(with the rest i set up a testing system to evaluate, if i can use them with 12 V car batteries for emergency lights in my store)

Great improvisation, Korm, and if they do the job that you require of them, even better!

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Great idea Korm!

Working in the sign industry I have access to quite a variety of LED products. Everything from manufacturer’s samples and production left-overs to modules removed from signs being scraped.

A recent indoor expansion ran track into a shelving unit putting it in shadow. A few LED modules glued to the inside frame of the shelf above and a 12V wall wart transformer and problem solved…

i am starting to fall in love with LEDs.
since they use low voltage, i’m not shy to make my own connections.
nowadays one gets them in any colour needed.
they don’t hurt the eyes like energy-saver lamps do.
they use near to nothing as energy input.
and i still have to have the first LED that fails me.

did you put up your LEDs at the front frame, lighting towards the back(ground)?
if yes, try to put them sideways for a change. for me at last, it looks interesting, when a passing train makes moving shadows on the landscape.

I lined the interior of all 4 brackets for the shelf above with sign modules all pointed at each other. You can see some peeking out at the center of the rear bracket. There are 3 large LED’s in a module and 3 modules per linear foot or about 1 module per 10mm. This area is dead end industrial track so there isn’t a lot of movement to sit back and watch, When things are moving I need to pay attention!

As far as longevity goes - I don’t think I’ll live long enough to burn them out. These modules went into sign service in 2007 and were retired in 2012 still working. I plugged them in 3 months ago and they haven’t been off since.