Large Scale Central

An interesting method of trackbed preparation

Yes, it is for 0 gauge, but he used the same method for his previous largescale railroad. Pretty cool. I especially like this method of preparing the corners.

By the way, WTF is “bog standard” wood?

oak or other wood found preserved in peat bogs; bogwood

Steve Weidner said:
oak or other wood found preserved in peat bogs; bogwood
So, fairly impervious to rot??? Probably bloody expensive, too.

He seems to tell you what ‘bog standard’ is in this quote.:slight_smile: :wink:

The timber I’m using is just pressure treated bog standard soft-wood,probably scots pine ,larch or spruce

Hmmmmm… I just looked it up in several on line dictionaries…

Bog standard: completely ordinary. I just want a completely bog standard washing machine. The Free Dictionary

Bog Standard: (idiomatic) Especially plain, ordinary, or unremarkable; having no special, excess or unusual features; plain vanilla She drives a bog standard economy car. Wictionary

Bog Standard: informal completely ordinary; run-of-the-mill British Slang Dictionary.com

Shaw was right! Two countries separated by a common language.

What Steve, you’re just now finding Davy’s threads on his “O” scale garden railroad. Davy use to be in “G” gauge. He modeled the B & O railroad, but got tired of the manufacturers not coming through on their promises for newer and better product so he changed over to “O” scale.

He still has his G gauge stuff and plans on selling it soon. BTW, Davy lives in Scotland. It’s been nice getting to know him.

Chuck

Chuck Inlow said:
What Steve, you're just now finding Davy's threads on his "O" scale garden railroad. Davy use to be in "G" gauge. He modeled the B & O railroad, but got tired of the manufacturers not coming through on their promises for newer and better product so he changed over to "O" scale.

He still has his G gauge stuff and plans on selling it soon. BTW, Davy lives in Scotland. It’s been nice getting to know him.

Chuck

I rarely check out the 0 Scale forums. I’m glad that I did. He’s a fellow piper, too.

Have you been to the bog lately, Steve? Something else for you to look up. And don’t forget your bogroll when you go there either! :lol:

I’d never have heard of either of these if my wife didn’t watch “Coronation Street”, which she does, every day. It’s an addiction, I think. Only affects women, 'tho. :rolleyes:

Good idea, but too much work.
Throw track down, ballast and level a little and run. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Any time you encase ties in cement they will eventually rot. As one said a lot of work. Yep I prefer the float in ballast method. Later RJD

R.J. would know about tie rot… Course, it doesn’t take intentional cementing, some places the crap that exists mixes with the purpose ballast and creates concrete.

Another method of track retention:
In fresh, leveled concrete, press the track into the mix, wiggle it to accomodate expansion, and life it in place it from the concrete after 10 minutes. Put some paint sticks under the track to suspend it until the concrete hardens. The 'hollow" ties leave impressions that will hold the track.
The “wiggle” is to allow for expansion. I have experienced here is SoCalif. 100+ degree days with 70 degree nights and no buckling of track. The concrete permits walking on and in and among the plants for the endless weeding, triming, etc…
Wendell

Love to see some pictures Wendell, interesting idea.

Greg