Large Scale Central

AML's Stock Car Experiences & Couplers

American Main Line (AML) 1/29 “G” scale Stock Cars!

I’ve had these cars for a long time, but only recently tried to operate them on my outdoor layout.

As it comes from the factory, if you push at the top side of the AML stock car and let go, it easily leans over and rocks, reminiscent of a shaking bobble head doll you might see on the rear package shelf in a car!

The AML stock car is so loosely sprung that it can lean over or rock during operation on a train. This is most noticeable when the car is positioned near the front of a long train, particularly when using AML or Kadee body mount coupler boxes.

The leaning or rocking propensity is associated with how the trucks are attached to the chassis with AML’s unique fastener with coil spring - not the trucks since they don’t use springs in the sideframes. Compounding this, the car is a bit too light in weight.

As to couplers, AML does supply with the car a bag of their unique body mount boxes that resemble Kadee 830/906 types if the user chooses to install them in place of truck mounts.

As an experiment I adapted the AML boxes to accept a stand alone Kadee 900 straight shank centerset couplers for body mounting.

For more info., see vignette I finally got around to do, title, “AML Stock Car Experiences & Body Mounting Kadee Centerset Couplers

-Ted

I had similar experiences with the light weight and rocking. I took a slightly different method to fix, but I have indeed shimmed the ends of the axles to eliminate the severe side to side play.

Greg