Large Scale Central

American Flyer Gilbert Chemical Tanker

I first started in Model Railroading when Dad bought me American Flyer trains. I was on crutches and could not walk, so this gave me something to do at home.

These were sold when I needed money years ago. One of the cars was a “Gilbert Chemicals” tank car.

I obtained an Aristo Celnese Tank Car the had a very similar paint scheme. All I need to do is remove “Celanese”, and replace with “Gilbert”.

I tried the old method of scratching and scraping the old lettereing. Result:

Yuck! Then I tried GENTLY rubbing with BonAmi Cleanser. It did so much better and leaves a nice shiny surface, perfect for decals or Cricut lettering.

That’s the progress so far while I figure out how to do the “Gilbert” with the line underneath.

Lou;

It’s looking good. I have always preferred the Hooker Chemicals tank cars because they carried my high school’s colors, orange and black. I have had an example in S gauge and in HO gauge, but my favorite is the USA Trains “beer can” version below. Please avert the children’s eyes, because the photo shows a Hooker “tied” to a Davenport!

Best wishes, David Meashey

P.S. Just realized that many folks here may not get the double meaning of Davenport. My wife is a Hoosier, and in parts of the Midwest a sofa is called a Davenport. (AND coupling railroad rolling stock together is called a “tie,” which is why I suggested the photo could be kinky!)

My modeling buddy who models in On30 uses American Flyer rolling stock for cars on his On30 RR. I do know that he does shorten them to look more NG looking. He is always picking them up at train shows, the rougher the car the cheaper the price is what he looks for. He also changes out the trucks for On30 NG trucks, they turn out very nice looking. Just another way of mixing scales to get what you want for your scale.

trainman

Well, another project almost completed. Spent 2 days with Cricut Support. Did not realize how old my machine was and had not been hooked up to my current desktop. Got the “Gilbert” cut and applied.

I’m satisfied. Looks like my old American Flyer Tanker. Now if the weather would warm up I could take it outside and apply a nice clear coat.