Large Scale Central

Airwire ?

I’ve been researching the RailPro system and it looks very interesting. I am going to be converting to battery. But for steam, the sounds seem very limited. I have 4 or 5 Phoenix boards and really like them. But can you use the Phoenix with Airwire or are you locked into their sound? How about adding coupler control?

I am using Airwire + Phoenix. Works great. Have it in a Shay, a Climax, and a railtruck I am scratchbuilding.

RailBoss 4 Plus works great with Phoenix Sound and Phoenix Remote Uncouplers.

Jim, in reading their manual, I didn’t see any thing about external sound system. Can you briefly explain how you run it?

Oh hell. Too many similar names. I meant RailPro and Phoenix.

Mickey Kelley said:

I’ve been researching the RailPro system and it looks very interesting. I am going to be converting to battery. But for steam, the sounds seem very limited. I have 4 or 5 Phoenix boards and really like them. But can you use the Phoenix with Airwire or are you locked into their sound? How about adding coupler control?

I have NOT tried it myself, but this sounds promising: https://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php?topic=1103.0

I have searched and read but can’t seem to find an answer. So I guess after the holiday I’ll put a call into Ring and ask them directly.

Better check and see if you can get a Phoenix P8, understand they have been in pretty short supply lately.

Hi Mike, I can try to answer all your RailPro questions.

1. Yes you can use any of the Phoenix sound boards and trigger with the RailPro loco module. Any of the 6 outputs can be configured . If you prefer the Phoenix chuffing use that also. As Jon stated there is new software version 2.50 and that has an active trigger wire for either reed switches or the Bachmann optical chuff triggers. I have not tried on it on LGB chuff sensor.

2. Yes if you can find remote couplers you can trigger them with the RailPro. MTH and Phoenix will work. As stated Phoenix is almost out of business since the Pandemic. RLD Hobbies or Reindeer Pass might have some Phoenix P8 couplers left. The phoenix couplers are 3D printed and many break at the mounting screw. I do not recommend them anymore.

3. RailPro represent the next generation of radio control systems with sound and the best value.

At the recent G Scale Convention I demonstrated the new Bachmann 4-6-0 with RailPro steam sound. It was a big hit. True four chuffs without motor boating sound.

You can always reach me off line at [email protected]

Don

Mickey,

Phoenix will work with all generations of Airwire receivers.

P8 in short supply because cones from China or what?

I started converting my USAT diesels a few years ago from track power to Airwire G-3 Drop-in/Phoenix P8 sound and battery power. I was all ready to go on to my third Airwire conversion when I had a very hard time locating another Phoenix P8. I had already waited three months for my last P8 to become available and was unwilling to pay a lot more for the PB17. People on the G-scale Facebook pages were raving about RailPro, so I gave it a shot and have never looked back. No more buying a separate sound card - the Direct Radio RF 2.4 Ghz transceiver and sound and light functions are already self-contained in one LMS LM-3S-G module. All you need is the controller, module, battery pack, and speaker and you’re set. I think the downloadable diesel sound files are fantastic - even better than the Phoenix files. The controller is very intuitive and larger and easier to navigate around compared to the T-5000 Airwire controller. RailPro has been around for years for the HO crowd, but now they’ve made products and supported G-scale and I believe that’s the future for Large Scale.

Michael Kirrene said:

I started converting my USAT diesels a few years ago from track power to Airwire G-3 Drop-in/Phoenix P8 sound and battery power. I was all ready to go on to my third Airwire conversion when I had a very hard time locating another Phoenix P8. I had already waited three months for my last P8 to become available and was unwilling to pay a lot more for the PB17. People on the G-scale Facebook pages were raving about RailPro, so I gave it a shot and have never looked back. No more buying a separate sound card - the Direct Radio RF 2.4 Ghz transceiver and sound and light functions are already self-contained in one LMS LM-3S-G module. All you need is the controller, module, battery pack, and speaker and you’re set. I think the downloadable diesel sound files are fantastic - even better than the Phoenix files. The controller is very intuitive and larger and easier to navigate around compared to the T-5000 Airwire controller. RailPro has been around for years for the HO crowd, but now they’ve made products and supported G-scale and I believe that’s the future for Large Scale.

Seriously considering the same. I was just playing with my Revolution & my Airwire and they just aren’t EASY to use. (How can I change the sound volume? How can I remove a locomotive from the Revolution?) Sheesh.

Seriously considering the same. I was just playing with my Revolution & my Airwire and they just aren’t EASY to use. (How can I change the sound volume? How can I remove a locomotive from the Revolution?) Sheesh.

Well, I’m going to need something for my next steamer and I was considering another revolution board, as I already have a TX. But I never programmed it - Kevin sold me the whole kit and caboodle already in working order, so I just plugged/wired it in. I wonder what my next system will be., . .

Well, I’ve talked a lot to different people. I love the look of the RailBoss. It just seems easy for me and grandkids So I’m gonna order one and give it a go. As for sound for steam, well, it’s apparently lacking. In talking with Don above, he said yes you can hook up and use the Phoenix. He has done it. Would be nice if RailPro would work on the steam side of sounds but for now I CAN hook up the Phoenix. Yes it’s 2 boards and extra money, but it’s doable according to Don. Since he says He has done it, I’m gonna assume so and move forward.

Mickey Kelley said:

Well, I’ve talked a lot to different people. I love the look of the RailBoss. It just seems easy for me and grandkids So I’m gonna order one and give it a go. As for sound for steam, well, it’s apparently lacking. In talking with Don above, he said yes you can hook up and use the Phoenix. He has done it. Would be nice if RailPro would work on the steam side of sounds but for now I CAN hook up the Phoenix. Yes it’s 2 boards and extra money, but it’s doable according to Don. Since he says He has done it, I’m gonna assume so and move forward.

That’s the cool part of the hobby - there seems to be something for everyone! I’ll be looking forward to hearing your experience!

Mickey Kelley said:

My understanding is that Ring is/was trying to get the steam “chuff” sound to sync properly. Back in February, they came out with an update to the Shay sound. So now they have three steam sound files - “Light Steam”, “Heavy Steam ULT” and “Shay ULT” in addition to many bells and whistles and other stuff.

https://www.ringengineering.com/Sounds.htm

I’ll guess that 80% of Ring’s market is HO Diesel. With their entry and wide acceptance in large scale, they are putting some effort into steam sounds and more recently the trigger input for chuff. We need to remember that Ring is basically a one man shop. Updates take time. If those of us who want more variety in steam sounds would call and ask politely, there is a good possibility we will see more. Tim Ring is pretty easy to talk to.

I’m not quite ready to give the new chuff input quite as enthusiastic endorsement as Don has. I am still in experiment mode with one loco and have not had time to tweak things. I will say that at slow speeds it is a 100% improvement over the voltage method.

I didn’t know that it was a one man show but he took probably 30 minutes talking with me today. Great conversation. Ordering tomorrow.

Duplicate post deleted