Large Scale Central

Aero Train

Who made the Aero Train in G scale ? Can they still be obtained ? I am interested in acquiring one. I migth have posted this in the wrong spot.

Allan,

I found 3 different references to Aero Train, including the new people-mover at Dulles airport. Which one did you have in mind - the French version or the GM version ?

I thought the large scale Aero train was a kit-bash/scratch-build item. Were there ever any commercially produced in large scale?

G M Version.

The GM AeroTrain would be a great G-Scale model, but the customer base would be very small. A little item of interest: The AeroTrain was clocked at 125mph, eastbound, #3 track at Wilkinsburg PA. SOURCE: PRR RFoE in 1967. He was retiring and I had just hired out on the PRR, and also, he gave me his PRR “Book of Rules” notated.

Ed

Wisconsin Illinois Trains had an Aero Train at last years national convention in Cincinnati. I don’t remember the brand though. I’d check with MD Trains and see who made it.

Terry

Ed, well lets see. The PRR guys might want one, as would those who like unique pieces. The Aero train also ran on the Rock Island. And I forget where else it ran.

I had on my dream build list, building one. But there is so much more on my in progress and someday lists that I don’t think I ever will build one. Maybe we could talk Mark into printing us up a couple of them.

:wink:

This guy made one. I always wanted to, but never got to it.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/AEROTRAINPROJECT.html

Jerry , you could do a reasonable facsimile by getting a model B17 and chopping the wings off .

Imagination , that’s all it needs .

Mike

That’s the one I saw, or at least I think it is. The cab looks to me to be a bit too high, and black windows don’t work for me. That’s just my opinion, and its not worth much.

Jerry Barnes said:

This guy made one. I always wanted to, but never got to it.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/AEROTRAINPROJECT.html

I remember him having it for sale some time ago.
Maybe MD Trains purchased it or was selling it for him.
Ralph

I thought Ralph Brown made a few as well however I could be mistaken… I do know he made smoothsides

Terry Burr said:

Wisconsin Illinois Trains had an Aero Train at last years national convention in Cincinnati. I don’t remember the brand though. I’d check with MD Trains and see who made it.

Terry

Not quite.

WI Trains had a model of the DB TEE TRANS EUROPE EXPRESS which is very similar to the Aerotrain:

http://www.piko-america.com/37320-DB-III-TEE-VT.html

-Keith.

A good looking train. I think.

That would be a nightmare to draw in 3d , lol

Mark, sure it would be. but it would be darn cool though.

I thought that GM train could be a little easier using parts from a 1/18 Nomad , but I never did find one. Work great for the rear window anyway and front window. I imagine GM used some car parts on it.

I don’t recall ever seeing photos of the rear. When I googled Areo Train I found some…

(http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/aero.jpg)

Kinda looks like a 50’s Caddy from the rear :slight_smile:

Jerry Barnes said:

I thought that GM train could be a little easier using parts from a 1/18 Nomad , but I never did find one. Work great for the rear window anyway and front window. I imagine GM used some car parts on it.

Car parts, maybe, but they would be awfully small for a train car. However they did have car designers design it, and the coaches were essentially bus bodies. The suspension was an air ride suspension design adapted from the GM buses. This suspension is partly what doomed the Aero train. At speed, the air suspension would flatten out and no longer cushion the cars from any unevenness in the rails.

If a manufacture were to produce a first class model of the Aero Train . G Scale of course . I wounder just how they would sell ? Make a 5 car train , Engine , 3 Coaches and Tail car. With extra coaches available. I for one would by one. I love to have a 10 car train