Large Scale Central

Aerial Views of Layouts

Can’t get anything on ours? Bummer. To many trees. Can’t even see the row boat on the resivor.

Here’s an image of my layout. Must have been taken in the last couple of years.

Doc Watson

Here is a recent image of my place. My layout is partially hidden under trees…

Siegel Layout

SIEGEL LAYOUT

Yes Mike Morgan, I have a camera mounted on a radio controlled quadcopter. Regrettably most of the local layouts have big trees or utility wires way to close to do much flying, but here’s one I took of a very small part of a fellow train club member’s layout. It has 750’ of mainline track. This part, on the side of the hill in his back yard, has five levels. My quadcopter was was about 30’ above the ground when it took this shot.

Art Sylvester said:

Siegel Layout

Yes Mike Morgan, I have a camera mounted on a radio controlled quadcopter. Regrettably most of the local layouts have big trees or utility wires way to close to do much flying, but here’s one I took of a very small part of a fellow train club member’s layout. It has 750’ of mainline track. This part, on the side of the hill in his back yard, has five levels. My quadcopter was was about 30’ above the ground when it took this shot.

Art,

Is this shot part of Gary Siegel’s layout?

Yes, it is part of Gary Siegel’s layout in Montecito. You may notice in the picture several railcars scattered around, because we were in the middle of a operations meet there a few weeks ago.

Art , nice photo , thanks .

You mention a problem with trees . Sounds like you need a timber operation . Scaled of course.

Mike Brit

Gary planted more than 1000 dwarf Alberta spruce on the layout, but cut down at least 4 full sized trees of various kinds. Still there’s not much room for flying. Our timber branch line is still under destruction. We have the roadbed and track but lack the switches. It takes the layout up to a sixth level on the side of the hill.

Andy, I thought that was a shot of the hump yard at Galesburg.

My layout gets blocked by the trees. I wish they would do the images during the winter when the leaves are off and before the snows.

A winter shot, and not very clear. Yeah it takes up most of the back yard, and enchroches on the city right of way. The Mountain is at the South end near the street.

About the best I can do with Google earth.

I have followed this thread with some interest , overshadowed to some extent by envy .

I could never achieve a layout as large as those shown because I have not got the space .

I shall have to be content with a small switching layout , end to end because my back garden is not wide enough to get in a sensible radius loop .

So , please send more pictures of what can be achieved so that I may dream that one day…

Mike

Mike,

Here is a shot of how I solved the problem of putting an 8’ diameter loop at the end of a set of tracks in a 4’ wide space between a slumpstone wall and the property line beneath the hedge on the right. Behind the set up you’ll note a big gate that I need to open every now and then, so I designed the loop and the wye so that everything - track, woodwork, and pipes - can be dismantled in 10 minutes and set up again in 15 minutes. It doesn’t look so bad, and it works.

That looks good .

I obviously need to think outside the box !

Mike

Mike, usually, when I am inside of a box, the only thing I am thinking about, is how to get outside of the box.

Just to keep this thread alive , try this .

Go to Google Earth .

Key in MELIDE Switzerland .

Magnify it up and there is a piece of land crossing a lake , with Melide at the left hand end .

Look for the hook shaped projection at the lower left of this bit of land , and just above you will see a rather nice layout .

I went here , but could not remember the name (probably because it sounds Spanish).

There is also one at BEKONSCOT MODEL VILLAGE UK , but you have to use the time slider to see it because the latest shots are fuzzy

Mike

PS .I should mention that if you select “photos” from your menu on the left , there are rather a lot .

Pretty clever. Art!

http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/nicoc/_forumfiles/20140324083158.pdf

Does an aerial view of the proposed layout count?

Since we live in the desert, no trees obscure my layout.