Large Scale Central

Advice re rail size type

Hi all, . . . . I’m getting started on building a small layout in 7/8 in. scale depicting 2ft gauge. I have some G rolling stock that I’ve been working on converting to 7/8 and am ready to start laying some trackage. This will be indoor. What advice can I get about size type of rail . . . and what wood is best for ties ?

Thanks in advance . . . .

Here are the equivalent rail heights of the common LS rail sizes for 7/8n2:

Code 332 - 4.55"

Code 250 - 3.43"

Code 215 - 2.95"

For comparison, I use Code 215 to represent 65# rail in 1:20.3 which was typical for lines like the RGS and D&RGW. For 7/8n2, Code 215 would equate to about a #40 rail section. As to tie material, since you are going to be indoors, you could use just about anything you like. Personally, I like cedar. It looks good, ages to a nice weathered gray, and is easy to hand-spike. Your indoor ties may not age to a gray without UV, so you may need to stain them. Not a problem – cedar take stain well.

Bob

Bob Hyman said:

Here are the equivalent rail heights of the common LS rail sizes for 7/8n2:

Code 332 - 4.55"

Code 250 - 3.43"

Code 215 - 2.95"

For comparison, I use Code 215 to represent 65# rail in 1:20.3 which was typical for lines like the RGS and D&RGW. For 7/8n2, Code 215 would equate to about a #40 rail section. As to tie material, since you are going to be indoors, you could use just about anything you like. Personally, I like cedar. It looks good, ages to a nice weathered gray, and is easy to hand-spike. Your indoor ties may not age to a gray without UV, so you may need to stain them. Not a problem – cedar take stain well.

Bob . . . thank you much for the reply. I’ll order some rain and spikes and ties, . . . . with them on hand . . . . I will get motivated (eventually) to start laying some track. I plan to build modular sections of roadbed that can be installed later . . . only way I see to get going on it . . . (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

The building that the layout will be in . . . . isn’t built yet. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Bob

I have code 332 out side on my 7/8th scale layout lgb and USA and arristo track. The rail is really too large to scale and the ties too small. I did a portable layout modules with 250 and home made ties…much better! The WW&F uses 40 and 60 pound rail…60 is as large as we can work with. So either 215 or 250 would be right.

I have to ask what era you are planning on modeling and the overall representation you are trying to depict ?

Since you are indoors the options on ties are endless in my opinion.

" Rooster " said:

I have to ask what era you are planning on modeling and the overall representation you are trying to depict ?

Since you are indoors the options on ties are endless in my opinion.

I was going to ask the same thing for the same reason. I will add to it by saying if your considering more of an older backwoods logger type line consider cutting ties out of twigs to represent un-milled log ties.

Thank you all for the replies.

My concept has been “tweaked” and modified over a few years now. It has finally evolved to being a very small simple layout that just incorporates just my very favorite railroad things.

Such as . . . .
Hand laid rustic narrow gauge short line trackage.
A stub switch ( preferably a 3 way ).
Trackage thru rough rocky mountainous terrain.
A mine high in the mountains that is accessed by the railroad.
A trestle with a gorge under it that extends to the floor.
Tunnel entrances.
Rough rustic buildings ( ie. mine at one end of the line and rough terminal at the other )

I’m not looking to do “fine scale” modeling . . . just a fun little railroad that had the “flavor” of narrow gauge railroading in the mountains.

I’m really a “rail fan” rather than a “model builder” and so want to keep the modeling aspect simple.

My rolling stock is minimal. I acquired a few years back an 0-4-0 tank engine and one 4 wheel gondola. These I am gradually working on adapting these to be 7/8n2 scale.
http://www.drburkholter.com/cf24.html

I had considered a special building to house the railroad . . . and while that is a possibility both financially and logistically . . . . it would be a long time before I got thru with other projects and could get to doing it. So I scrapped that idea a year ago.

I have 5 acres here in Landers Ca. near the movie ranch. www.WhiteHorseRanch.com

on which there was a derelict cabin dating from 1960. I have renovated it into a rustic old west cottage with is my home. I have already built a couple of companion buildings. One being a bunk house another a bath house.

I am going to be building a barn which is planned to be primarily used as a “set” for filming. It will be 16ft wide by 8ft deep. The appearance of the front is the primary purpose for filming though I may someday have small life stock (ie. chickens, miniature goats, and a pig.)

So I am figuring to make and extension out the back of the barn of 4 ft and will thus will have 4ft x 16 ft space for the railroad.

I am figuring to have three “scenes”. On is at a low elevation where the terminus of the railroad is located. The background will have snowcapped mountains in the distance. Another is up in the mountains with pine trees and the background mountains bigger ( ie. closer ). And the third high, high in the mountains with some snow and the pine trees smaller and mixed with stunted bushes between the rocks. These three “scenes” separated by two tunnels that go thru big mountains forming the divisions between the three scenes. The middle scene will have a trestle spanning a gorge that extends all the way to the floor. ( As a youngster I was fascinated by the mountains and gorge extending to the floor on John Allen’s “Gore & Dephetid” ! ).

Anyhoooo that is my plan. I can probably start framing the barn either this June or at least in the winter next year. ( I’m away for 4 months July to November ). So I’m thinking of starting some track work on sub roadbed and also beginning the construction of parts for the trestle.

I’ve been “dreaming” and planning for years and it is going to be fun to get started.

I’m keep pretty busy with my non railroad projects such as with finish work on my home, movie filming, and am one of the sponsors of this big event . . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doAOW8HCoIQ
I can be seen at one minute and 18 seconds just finishing my Buffalo Bill Cody shooting act.

I’m looking to soon purchase some rail, ties and spikes. Then I’ll do a template for the track in the first “scene” and begin laying some track on a “sub-roadbed” that can be installed later.

Recommendations and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks again for your interest in my project.

Narrow Gauge Lover (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Well, go with code 250 or 215 track. Llagas Creek makes it and so does SVRR. That size goes better with narrow gauge and being inside there is no fear of anyone stepping on it, although mine is outside for 20+ years with no problem. USA/LGB/Aristo track is larger rail and does not look good with the trains.